Monday, March 20, 2017

Sunday, March 19, 2017

I got up twice during the night, the first time at 3am from loud voices outside.  I finally woke up at 7am and got up at 8:15.

It’s another overcast day.

After a breakfast of French toast I headed for the park arriving at 9:30.  There was nothing special going on except a large group exercise class so I set up my chess set and took out my Chess Life magazine and started going through a game.  About 10 minutes later a guy asked to play.  As soon as he sat down I recognized him.  I call him the Russian because he often wears a baseball cap that says Russia on it and I’ve never beaten him; he usually beats me pretty easily.  In the first game, where I had the Black pieces, he pretty well walked all over me as usual but I won the next game with White using the English opening Botvinnik Attack that Ruben had taught me.  Finally, a victory!

I then won the next 2 games, I got some good King-side attacks going that he wasn’t able to counter and I won the last game in a close endgame.  Needless to say I was very happy.  I stopped by a couple bakeries on the way back to the apt to celebrate but they were either closed or didn’t have the churros I was looking for.

Teresa didn’t get back from having her hair done until 1:30.  Laura was still in the shower so I headed out to Frisby.  Before I would have picked up fried chicken but we’re trying to eat healthier so I picked up vegetable soup and a Friburrito for each of us.  The total came to 40,800.

I forgot to mention that when we were in Euro yesterday there was a girl giving out free samples of Hindú iced tea. It was pretty tasty, even though it wasn’t really cold, with very little after taste so I picked up a small package of their Wild Fruit.  I also picked up a package of Maracuyá SunTea and a bottle of Sandia Arizona iced tea.  The latter should last for 2-3 servings or so.  I’m trying to find an acceptable substitute for Coca Cola.

With my hotdog tonight I had some of the Arizona and it tasted like watermelon, which in Spanish is sandia so that makes sense.  It was pretty good, with no after taste.  It’s more expensive than the other 2 but I think it will last for 3 servings.

We had a small storm come through starting about 4pm.

At 6:30 Teresa and Laura left for mass.

When they returned Laura finished watching Out of Sight.
I finished Michael Connelly’s Trunk Music (#5 in the Harry Bosch series) and then downloaded Rick Atkinson’s Guns at Last Light: The War in Western Europe.


T-shirt of the day: The fact that there’s a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment