Monday, March 27, 2017

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Laura came back at 3:30 in the morning because Teresa got up and that woke me up.  Against that benchmark I knew I had gotten up 2 times previously.  I’m sure I got up at least twice more after.  Each trip it takes too much time to get back to sleep.  I finally woke/got up at 8:45 feeling pretty good only because I slept in a little.
It’s obvious we got some rain overnight.  It turned out to be an overcast day with a short light drizzle.

I checked the EnCicla website and it appears they have a bicycle station at Carrera 70 and San Juan.  The only problem is that it’s a manual one, without an attendant.  It is supposed to have instructions but of course they will be in Spanish so I’m not sure that will work for me.  Someday I’ll watch someone else go through the process of returning/checking out a bicycle and then I’ll know.  My plan for Wednesday is to play chess with Dario until 4pm, take the metro to Estacion Estadio, rent a bicycle, ride to the manual station and check in my bike (if I can figure out how it works), walk the last couple blocks to Opera pizza, have a pizza for dinner about 5:15ish, walk back to the manual station and check out another bicycle, ride back to Estacion Estadio where I’ll check it back in, and then walk to the chess league in time for my 6:30 match.  If I can’t figure out how the manual station works then I’ll just take it with me to the pizza place and hope I can keep it close for security reasons and finish my pizza in time to get it back to the stadium on time.

On March 6th I had received an email from Shedrain that they would send out the correct umbrella (red) the next day.  I checked online and see via MBE’s tracking system that it passed through Miami last Wednesday so it should be here soon.

Teresa wanted to know why Eddie didn’t go to the gringo meet-up last Thursday so I translated the following message for her:
The day before the gringo meeting I sent Eddie the following email "Teresa doesn't want me to go to the meeting because of my cold.  I plan to go for about an hour, have some pizza and leave.  Save me a seat." He told me he only read the first sentence because he thought the rest of the email was bullshit (his words).  He said he arrived at the pizza place 30 minutes early and stopped at a restaurant across the alley to watch a soccer match.  After the match ended he ordered something to eat and got involved in another soccer match.  He never bothered to walk across the alley to the meeting.  I told him I'm mad at him.  (He always told me he wanted to be alone anyway.)

Laura went to Frisby and picked up food for everyone for about 58,000 pesos.  I had chicken vegetable soup, cole slaw and a Frischuleta.

About 5 months ago I received chess computer software from Ruben called Shredder 10.  I had figured out how to use it to analyze a previously played game but after saving it, I couldn’t figure out how to reload it.  I spent the morning reading the instruction manual, reading the online help screens and with trial and error (and reentering several games) I finally figured out how it works and the correct format to use when entering data.  It’s still a learning process but I’m making progress.  For example, I figured out how to do an automatic analysis of a previously entered game, the problem is that the comments are in German.  I have enough challenge with Spanish, I don’t need to be spending my valuable time translating “der kann naturlich nicht genommen werden” into “Of course, it can’t be taken”.  I googled online and I understand I need to go to Playchess.com and update my Shredder computer software.  In Playchess.com I finally figured out how to register but I couldn’t get a connection to the server.  I’ll try again another time.  When I finally exited Shredder I got the message “An unsupported operation was attempted” and I couldn’t get it to go away without rebooting.

At 8pm Laura came back with 6 empanadas for us to share for dinner for less than 10,000 pesos.  I also finished my cole slaw from lunch.

I watched Contagion (6.6) on Netflix.


T-shirt of the day: I’m currently unsupervised.  I know, it freaks me out too.  But the possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment