Thursday, March 2, 2017

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

I love those short months (month).  There should be more of them!

I slept well, woke/got up at 7:45, had breakfast and left for the bank at 9am.  I told Laura I wouldn’t need her help this time with the electronic payment machine in BanColombia.  When I got there I understood it was “out of service”.  Drat!  I went inside the bank and with someone’s help I was given turn number H187 and they were presently serving H87.  There weren’t any seats left inside so I went back outside and leaned against a railing for a while thinking.

I left there and walked to the other BanColombia where I saw their electronic payment machine was working.  I stopped in Citibank and took out some cash and then went back to BanColombia where there were only 5 people in front of me.  They had a cashier helping to speed up the transactions and I soon had completed my health insurance and apartment rental payments.  I got back to the apt just in time for the beginning of the Today show.

I left at 10:25 and headed to the gym.  I got inside using only my fingerprint after trying for a second time.  I checked out some more machines that I hadn’t had time to try on Monday.  I ran into Jose who had just started there today.  One of their personal trainers Jeison (Jason) helped me with a few machines.  I met a man named Wilma (yes, a man) who also helped me with a machine.  At 11:30 I left and had to use my fingerprint again to exit.

Teresa didn’t have lunch ready until 12:30 but I still finished in time to leave the apt at 1pm.  (I chose taking a bottle of water over the small umbrella (big mistake) as I didn’t have room for both in my tech bag with the chess clock there.)  I only had to wait 1 minute for a bus to the station.  I took the metro to Estacion Hospital and was at Dario’s store by 1:50.  I earned the White pieces for the first game and I played the Ruy Lopez opening and soon he had 2 sets of doubled pawns.  I quickly switched my action from the queenside to the kingside and he resigned on his 21st move.  During the 2nd game I heard thunder outside – uh-oh.  I probably started my attack to soon and was unable to castle and he mated me on his 26th move.  

I wasted (rain’s coming, right?) some time making a trip to Aventura mall’s restroom.  Thankfully the stall had both a seat and toilet paper.  The TP was, of course, very thin but at least soft.  The problem was that while trying to fold the plies into an acceptable thickness a breeze from an open window had other ideas.

It still wasn’t raining as I left the mall.  I could see a little blue sky to the north but it was only dark clouds to the south.  I got to the hospital station uneventfully.  Just as I crested the top of the stairs I saw an “orange” train leaving.  Five minutes later a “green” train came through.  Five minutes more and another “orange” train arrived.  Surprisingly, it wasn’t very crowded and I soon had a seat.  On the train I soon saw a lot of people outside with umbrellas and the Medellin river was roiling.  Like that old CCR song, “Roiling, roiling, roiling on the river!”  Lol.  I could see that the expressway traffic was very slow.

When I got off at the Envigado station people were sitting on the stairs and more standing around upstairs by the ticket booth.  It was actually difficult to wade through the crowd as they were waiting for the rain to stop or lessen.  I ran to a filled metro bus but they let me on.  A man actually got up to give me his seat but I declined, telling him I was getting off soon.  There were a couple seats in the back and 2 ladies waved me back to them but again I declined.
As the bus pulled out there was a lot of standing water it had to work its way through.

The bus stopped at a red light at the top of the hill and the driver deemed it safe enough to allow me to get off.  I got back to the apt by 4:30 a little wet but far from soaked.

5pm and traffic leading to the highway is backed up all the way to our apartment.  For about 30 minutes I constantly heard wet brakes squealing and impatient horns honking.  That’s the main reason we want to move.

I’m still studying Aron Nimzowitsch’s My System but it’s getting more and more difficult to understand the point he wants to make.  I’m pretty sure it’s a translation problem as it was originally written in German.


T-shirt of the day: I’m so glad I grew up in the 70’s.  I did so much stupid stuff and there is no record of it anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment