Thursday, March 30, 2017

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Last night I fell asleep quickly but woke up at 5am and got up at 5:15.  I finished writing and posted yesterday’s doings and went back to bed at 6:30.  I finally got up at 8:30, watched some of the Today show and went back to bed for a short nap. 

Because the last round of the chess tournament was last night instead of tonight that changes my bicycling plans for today.
I left the apt at 11:50 and waited across the street for 10 minutes for a bus.  For some reason there were plenty of seats available on the metro today, maybe because I left at noon instead of 1pm?  Getting off the metro at Estacion Hospital it was obvious they had a little rain earlier.  At Aventura mall I checked out all the restaurants and decided to try the burger combo today at Bonanza grill.  As usual I first asked the cashier if he spoke English.  An attractive 20ish girl standing next to me was looking at a menu and she asked in English if she could help me.  I said maybe and continued with my order in Spanish.  She said at least you know enough Spanish to order and I replied that my Spanish is horrible but at least I won’t starve to death.  The mall has a dozen restaurants in their food court and if I was in a real hurry I could always have a hotdog downstairs at Dogger “The real American taste”.  I read my Nook while enjoying my meal – the burger was pretty juicy like over tenderized burgers in the US.

In my first game vs Dario I had the White pieces and it went into the endgame which I won with 2 passed pawns.  In the 2nd game I had the black pieces and on his 9th move he blundered and I won his queen.  We still had a lot of time left so we started a 3rd game.  We went into the endgame and he blundered a rook.  I guess it just wasn’t his day.

I stopped back in Aventura and asked at the pharmacy if they had Tums.  No.  Back in Envigado I bought a pound of fresh strawberries from a man on the bridge for 6,000 pesos (about $2).  I stopped in Exito but they don’t have Tums either.  What, I have to order it from the US?  I can’t believe it.

I was back in the apt by 4:45.  It started raining a few minutes later.  It finally ended about 6:30.

I received an email from MBE that I have “documents” waiting for pickup which might be my March Chess Life magazine.

I placed an Amazon order for a few things I can’t find here like Tums.


T-shirt of the day: I never argue.  I just explain why I’m right.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Terry,

    Could you maybe get by with a couple of sodium bicarbonate tablets of 650mg each? My doctor had me start taking them & they work quite well for my GERD plus they are way cheaper than Tums. And no Rx is required.

    I bought a huge bottle of 1,000 tablets off of Amazon.com for around US$16 bucks & that same bottle has lasted me for more than a year, now. Based on that cost, it surely can't be all that expensive there in Locombia.

    I'm sure that bicarbonate of sodium ( = baking soda = NaHCO3 ) tablets like this really has to be available in Medellín at farmacias there. And if the farmacia doesn't have it the pharmacist ought to be able to advise you where you can get it.

    BTW, in spanish you would ask for' tabletas de bicarbonato de sodio'.

    OK — HTH

    Paul M.
    ==
    PS - Here is a link I ran across with a brief discussion about using baking soda as an antacid: http://www.streetdirectory.com/food_editorials/pastry/baking_tips/heartburn_baking_soda_and_antacids_what_you_must_know.html
    ==

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. I've tried 2 grocery stores and 7 pharmacies and haven't found it anywhere. I still have 5 left in my jar but i just ordered another jar from Amazon. What i could really use, you'll see after today's post, is your cure for leg cramps.

      Delete