Saturday, April 15, 2017

Friday, April 14, 2017

Today is Good Friday!  Today is also an overcast day.

Last night I fell asleep quickly and only woke up once about 6 or 7am finally waking/getting up at 8am.

I watched the Today show until the weatherman came on and then headed to the gym although Teresa warned me it might not be open. My backup plan was if it’s closed I’ll just head back to the apt, take my shower and at 10:40am watch an episode of Mayday that I haven’t seen before.   I took my small umbrella because it was misting slightly.  (I forgot the bottle of water which I had already moved from the refrigerator to the freezer.)  The corner store and every other store were closed although Exito was open.  Walking through the park I saw what looked like an outdoor ESPN sports studio under a side-less tent and 4 men in suits sitting in chairs with a camera to record the “play by play”.  I noticed a couple other cameras set up.  Walking up the street I saw a decorated balcony with the words “9th station” so I’m sure it represents the 9th station of the cross.

There were a lot fewer people than usual at the gym.  I noticed a young attractive lady but she has orange hair and colored tattoos covering half of her (visible) body.  I helped a man (who doesn’t speak English) set up a couple machines for his use.  I met a new personal trainer – best I can guess his name is Wilfor – that doesn’t speak English but he told me I can ask him for help anytime I need it.  At one point I sat down on a machine to exercise my stomach and when I leaned back to grab the handles I felt something cold on my neck.  It was Jose holding his water bottle behind me.  Very funny!

On a calf curl machine I use 45 pounds.  Later, when I was on the machine next to it, a young man was doing calf curls with the complete stack of weights – 290#.  Incredible!

I observed another guy working out on a high bar.  He did a chin up, continued to above the bar, did 3 pushups and then went down and repeated the exercise.  Wow!

I’m starting to get calluses on my hands from my workouts.
I left after 2 hours and completing 18 of my 19 exercises.  I put up my umbrella as it was raining lightly.  On the way back the procession was filling a street that I needed to cross.  Luckily they moved slowly enough that I was able to get ahead of them and cross to the other side.  When I got back Teresa was watching the same procession on TV.

I wrote “H2O” on the cover of my exercise notebook; hopefully that will help me remember to take my water next time.

Among new US movie releases I would like to see The Lost City of Z (7.1).

Locally, there isn’t anything I would like to see but I’m beginning to see a pattern here.  During opening week a movie plays during the day but the following week it only plays at night which just encourages me more to see a movie the same week it first shows up here.

Maybe soon I’ll have time to go see a movie since my chess playing activity seems to be slowing down a little.

I checked online and saw that Jose lost his 10am game and at 0-4 he’s now ranked last (101st) in the field.  I soon received an email from him that he’s not having any fun and he’s withdrawing from the tournament.  I think he needs to work on his game before he plays in another tournament.

After lunch Teresa and I took a nap from 2:15 to 4pm.

Late afternoon for some reason my internet connection speed slowed to a crawl and later stopped completely.

Jose emailed me that “I did not show up for the first game today and did not notify them either afterwards. According to the rules, I should have been eliminated from the tournament, which was my intention...
Instead:
They gave me a bye for the afternoon game.
They awarded me 1 point.
And they scheduled me to play tomorrow so I guess that I am still there.
At this moment, I do not know if I will go tomorrow since my plan was to withdraw by not showing up.

At 8:30 we watched the taking down of Christ from the cross as it was happening in the Envigado church.  It was the first time I’ve seen this particular ceremony.

I finally got a good internet connection again at 9pm.


T-shirt of the day: T-shirt of the day: I’m an enganeer engeneer enginear I’m good with math.

No comments:

Post a Comment