Friday, April 28, 2017

Thursday, April 27, 2017

The day is finally here, the 1st day of the 2017 NFL Draft.  Tonight we have the 1st round, tomorrow night rounds 2 & 3 and Saturday rounds 4-7.  The first 3 picks go to the Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers and Chicago Bears.  All 3 teams need a franchise quarterback but this isn’t the strongest year for quarterbacks so it might not make sense to pick one so high in the draft, or perhaps it would just be better to wait until next year.  On the other hand, when the 2nd round comes around the top QBs could be gone.  The Bears signed Mike Glennon from the Eagles but that could just be a stopgap measure until next year’s draft.

Per the experts Texas A&M’s defensive end Myles Garrett is the best player in the draft so the Browns might be crazy not to take him with the first pick, especially since they have another 1st round pick – the 12th where they could take a QB.  The second pick in the draft goes to the 49ers and most experts expect them to select Stanford’s defensive end Solomon Thomas.  The Bears, with the 3rd pick, are expected to choose LSU safety Jamal Adams.  
However, any team could trade down, if another team wants to trade up, in order to acquire more picks.  Anyway, it should be interesting and it all begins tonight at 7pm Chicago time.

I was looking at the Direct TV directory and it appears the NFL draft will be broadcast tonight on ESPN 3.  I wonder if it will be in English or Spanish.

The day started out a little overcast but it soon cleared up.

We left the apt at 8:30, and at euro in Mayorista we bought $135 worth of groceries.  We were back at the apt by 10:30.

Teresa told me she would be busy later because she has to make lunch, have her nails done, and go to the gym.  I told her if it would help I could have lunch in El Poblado.

I left the apt at 11:30 and got off the bus outside Barbacoa restaurant.  I looked at their menu and it was almost all burgers so I went next door to Parmessano.  I had their mixed lasagna which is with ground beef and chicken.  It was very tasty and included some hot bread slices with olive oil and a salad.  I also had a coconut lemonade for a total of 33,212 (about $12).

Across the street I took out some cash from a Citibank ATM.  Walking down towards MBE I felt the need to pee.  I stopped in the new Starbucks at One Plaza but the restroom door was locked.  The (whatever the fancy word is for the person who makes drinks; barrister?) told me that someone was cleaning it and should be out in 5 minutes.  I waited 5 minutes then went next door but I didn’t see a bathroom in Dunkin Donuts.  I went into the One Plaza office building and asked a security lady for the restroom.  She told me it’s on the first floor.  (And here I thought I was on the first floor. Lol.)  I got in the elevator and the floors were marked top-to-bottom “2, L, S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6”.  I guessed I was on “L” for “lobby” so I pressed “2” but the elevator didn’t move.  I pressed “S1” and it went down one level where I soon found the restroom.  I guess there are 6 sub-floors which probably include parking.

At MBE they gave me 3 medium-sized boxes – a little too big for me to carry.  I shook the smallest box and the rattling confirmed my suspicions so I opened it and found the soap container I had ordered, and Amazon had sent separately, so I put it in my tech bag.  I paid 37,400 (about $13) extra for the shipping for the 3 boxes.  I also paid 45,000 (about $15) for May’s rental charge.
I quickly caught an Envigado bus and struggled to get on with my packages and pay the 2,000 pesos fare as the bus started moving right away.  I got off at Oviedo mall and at Cava de Quesos I saw an American Bagel sign on a window; I thought they had taken it down.  Inside I didn’t see any bagels – figures.

Outside I waited 5 minutes for a Sabaneta bus and had to drop my packages on the front seat (empty, luckily) to fish out another 100 pesos for the bus driver.

I got off a block from my street and walked the last few blocks back to the apt.

I opened the first box and it contained my Lipton iced tea bags – the one I had ordered just before I noticed they sell them here in Exito.  The second box contained 2 additional soap containers (can’t they count?), a letter puzzle book for Laura, a bottle of Tums and my new sleeping mask.

I was surprised I didn’t have any new emails until Laura came home and told me our internet is out again.  I sure hope the NFL draft tonight on Direct TV is in English!

Our internet connection seems to be intermittent and not very strong at that.

In the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft the Chicago Bears select … Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina.  They traded up one spot with San Francisco to make this selection.  I’m still waiting to find out what they gave up to make that earlier selection?  Wow! The Bears gave up picks 67, 111 and a third-rounder next year to move up one spot and draft Trubisky No. 2 overall in the 49ers’ spot.

I don’t think SF was really interested in him, I’m pretty sure they were outbidding another team – Cleveland? – for the rights to draft him.

I watched the first hour of the draft on Direct TV with all the analysis done in Spanish.  After that I watched it all on my Slingbox.


T-shirt of the day: I hate it when the voices in my head go silent…I never know what they are planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment