Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Monday, June 11, 2018


Today is another national holiday.  This time it’s Sagrado Corazón or Sacred Heart commemorating the physical heart of Jesus as a symbol of his divine love for all humanity.

I woke/got up at 8am, took ½ an Excedrin Migraine to clear my eyes and went back to bed.  I got up 20 minutes later and had breakfast while watching the beginning of the Today show.

Teresa showed me that the toilet seat in her bathroom is broken.  (I told her she’s needs to go on a diet.  I said not to worry, we’ll buy a new one in Home Center when we go to buy the hot shower head.)
For lunch we ordered food delivered from Frisby.

Teresa and I took a nap from 3 to 4pm.

Laura left the apt at 4:15 to go with girlfriends to Mayorca.

At 4:30 it started raining.  This is the first time since when – at least a week ago!?  It only lasted about 20 minutes but it still counts as a rainy day.

Teresa and I had an involved conversation about finances regarding the finca and (possible) money for Laura to pay for becoming an au pair.  We have to soon pay to have a strong door installed for the finca and I understand Teresa will pay me back from money that John gives her.  Thank God for the translator app on my cell phone or the conversation would have been literally impossible. 

At 6:45 we were going to change clothes to go to Home Center when Teresa informed me that it was raining again.

It stopped and we left at 7:15 in a slight drizzle which soon stopped.  I was surprised to see the Citibank ATM outside of Exito not functioning – entirely dark.  In Home Center we picked up a number of things plus a new toilet seat for the apartment.  I made a withdrawal from their Bancolombia ATM but it gives me a maximum of 600mil for about $4.75 fee.

We quickly caught a taxi back to the apt.

It soon started raining again and was still raining when i went to bed.

Obviously I didn’t go to the gym today but I’m feeling a lot better today than I did yesterday.  Thank you Dr. James!

If your dictionary told the truth: Synonym (n.) A word used in place of the one you can’t spell.

10 comments:

  1. hi, Terry, is there away you could ask a local how safe the area around Universidad of Medellin is, please? Los Alpes, La Palma... up to Industriales. I would really appreciate your help. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm familiar with the U of Medellin area but there may be more than one location. Can you give me an approximate Calle and Carrera? I'll check those areas later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anyone who lives in that area but I've been in that area many times. It's Calle 30 along the Transmetro route. Pretty level with lots of small businesses and houses, ie. residential. Very few tall buildings. Close to Los Molinos mall. At Avenida Ochenta (Carrera 81) there are buses that take you clockwise and counter clockwise around the lower half of Medellin for 2,000 pesos. I hope this helps. Btw, probably a little less safe the higher up the mountain you go - fyi Los Alpes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, ok. I dont have a specific address yet. What area would be, in terms of safety, most recommended?. I am looking for a place along the Metroplus. Thanks for your help.

      Delete
  4. Well, there is more than one Metroplus, the one you happened to mention is along Calle 30. If you just need to be near the metro that opens a much larger area for you but i would only consider staying in the southern half of the city. Are you only visiting or moving here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I am moving but, transport and safety are my main concerns as I will be teaching in different places. What is you opinion of La Estrella and Itagui?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to live somewhat near the plaza of envigado ou Sabaneta but, the I can't afford to buy in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, IMHO, La Estrella and Itagui would be less expensive, and less desireable, than Envigado and Sabaneta. Most gringos gravitate towards Poblado, Laureles, Sabaneta, Envigado, and Belen - most likely in that order. I wouldn't buy ANYWHERE until you've lived here AT LEAST 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, I agree. But, because I don' t know the names of the barrios it is kind of hard when i visit real state websites just to have an idea. Sabaneta seems very nice. Envigado too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well when you arrive stay at some place like 61Prado for a week or two while you check out all the barrios you might be interested in.

    ReplyDelete