Sunday, June 17, 2018

Saturday, June 16, 2018


I got up once during the night, finally waking at 7am and getting up at 7:30.  Teresa had already left for the finca.

I received an email that I have a document waiting to be picked up at Envios Market.

I left the apt at 11am and quickly caught a bus downtown.  They took a detour (because of work on the Metro Plus) and I lost 8 minutes because of it.  I started rethinking my original plan of going to the ATM first and then on to Envios Market.  I have to get there for my document before they close at noon.  A man got on the bus selling what looked like 1,000 peso bills and cookies.  I didn’t even know they had 1,000 peso bills; it looked real with dark colors and the security stripe.  I ended up getting off the bus across from Envios Market and soon had my June issue of Chess Life magazine.  I walked to the nearby ATM and found that it was out of cash.  I took a bus to Oviedo and as I approached the ticket booth I saw a large crowd but soon realized they were just waiting to use the down escalator.  I added 40mil to my Cine Colombia account and bought a ticket to El Nuevo Camino for 6mil.  I think the total ticket count I have on my Cine Colombia card is now 14.  I got a seat on the end of the last aisle to facilitate my usual trip to the restroom.  There were no other seats sold at that point.  As I was leaving I heard a loud cheer.  Downstairs they had seats set up theater style and were showing the World Cup and Denmark just scored against Peru and were leading 1-0.

I walked over to Santafe mall and tried to make a withdrawal at Falabella’s ATM but once again it said it was having technical difficulties.  I stopped at a Totto store and checked out their fanny packs but didn’t see anything I liked.  (I did see some nice tech bags that I could have bought here instead of ordering from the US.)

Back at the theater I bought a small popcorn and medium soda for 13,200 pesos.  Inside I found only 4 other people – 2 sitting right in front of me and, strangely, an older couple that had chosen their seats right next to me.  (Two others came in during the movie.)  Soon the movie started but there was no sound.  After giving them a minute to fix the situation I went outside the theater and since I couldn’t remember the word for sound I pantomimed the problem.  In Spanish she said ‘the audio isn’t working.”  Now I know that “audio” is the same in Spanish as it is in English.  They stopped the projector and we waited 5 minutes for them to restart the film.  
What is ironic is that the English title for the movie is Please Stand By.  Lol.  I saw a trailer for the movie Every Day (6.2) which is coming soon.  It looked pretty interesting.  The movie was pretty good and I soon caught a bus back to Envigado.  I stopped at the copy center but just before closing (4pm?) they were busy moving things around.

Laura left about 7pm for Caldas.  She said she’s meeting with friends and then she’ll vote in Caldas.

The Colombian Peso closed for the week at 2,895 to the US Dollar.

A joint bid by the US, Canada and Mexico won the right to host the 2026 World Cup.  I wonder if the countries will still be speaking to each other by then.

Teresa came back at 7:45.  She called the guy working on putting up the showers and he said he can’t work tomorrow but he’ll be there Monday.  Teresa informs me of this then suddenly remembers that she already made lunch for him at the finca for tomorrow.  So now she wants me to go with her to the finca tomorrow just to have lunch and then we’ll return to the apt.  I, begrudingly, agree.

If your dictionary told the truth: Balanced diet (n.) One cheeseburger in each hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment