Monday, September 10, 2018

Saturday, September 1, 2018



Last night I slept well despite getting up 3 times during the night (too much Pepsi?) finally waking at 6:30 and getting up at 7:15.
We were out of milk so I had to make another quick run to the corner store.

After a quick breakfast of granola with sliced banana I left the apt.  I noticed a motorcycle parked on the street with lots of coaxial cable on it.  I looked at the next building just in time to see a Une guy go inside.  I hope somehow they are working on our wifi problem.  I tried withdrawing 1,700,000 pesos from the Colpatria ATM but it informed me that “I can’t do that right now”.  I walked over to Servibanca where I made 2 780mil withdrawals.  I walked to Bancolombia where I had just enough cash to cover the rent and my health insurance for the month.

I took an Envigado bus to Parque Poblado.  I arrived at Envios Market at 8:50am, 10 minutes before their official opening, but they waved me in.  I picked up the bottles of Omega-3 and Horny Goat Weed that I ordered from GNC.  I paid 9mil in extra shipping fees or taxes.  I wanted to pay September’s box rental but I didn’t have enough cash on me.

I took a bus up to McDonald’s where I ordered a cappuccino.  The best way I could describe the girl that took my order was “harried”.  She didn’t give me my 100 peso change or a receipt.  After she made a few coffees and I figured out that none of them were for me I asked her if she would bring mine to me outside on the patio.  She agreed.

I connected to their wifi and soon learned that the Chicago Bears had made a trade for Oakland’s Defensive End Khalil Mack.  He is a 2-time All-Pro and 3-time Pro Bowler and was named the NFL defensive player of the year in 2016.  I was thinking the Bears could go anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 this year but now that should get them to 10-6 and the playoffs.  Go Bears!

It took about 35 minutes for my coffee to arrive.  I really didn’t care for it – I guess I need my milk or cream.  Teresa called me and informed me that we’re getting together with Jose and Maria at their apt about 2pm this afternoon.

I took a bus back to Envigado.

I tried to put new batteries in my old camera but I must have messed something up because I couldn’t get it to work.  I walked down to the real estate office where they made a copy of my apt rental payment.

After lunch I walked over to La Abuela Isabela where I bought a cake for 20mil.

We walked down the hill and quickly caught a taxi to Jose and Maria’s house in San Joaquin for 18mil.

I showed Jose my new chess books and he was pretty impressed with them.  He presented me with a couple t-shirts he picked up for me while they were in Chicago.  (Maria talked to Teresa about the beauty of Chicago.)  Jose and I played one game, I had the Black pieces and I got aggressive early and he didn’t find the correct response and I soon had him on the ropes.  I had given up a piece for 2 pawns but his king was exposed and I had lots of mating opportunities and threats against his queen and he finally resigned on the 25th move.  We replayed the game numerous times trying out different variations.  Before we knew it it was 7pm and we said our goodbyes.  Jose and I are meeting next Tuesday at the chess league at 10am.

Teresa showed me a nice pair of Sketchers gym shoes that she got from Maria.  I understand they will be for Laura if she likes them otherwise Teresa will keep them for herself.  (For Laura’s birthday next Tuesday she wants a new pair of gym shoes and sushi for dinner.)  I will be paying Jose 200mil next Tuesday for the shoes.

While I still had wifi at his house I learned that the Bears gave up at least 1st round picks in 2019 and 2020.  They also signed him to a 6-year contract for $141 million.

Back at the apt we still don’t have wifi.

Today’s Step Count was 5,924.


Joke of the day
A man walks into a drug store with his 8-year old son.  They happen to walk by the condom display, and the boy asks, "What are those, Dad?"
To which the father matter-of-factly replies, "Those are called condoms, son. Men use them to have safe sex."
"Oh I see," replied the boy pensively.  "Yes, I heard about that in health class at school."  He looks over the display and picks up a package of 3 and asks, "Why are there 3 in this package?"
The dad replies, "Those are for high school boys; one for Friday, one for Saturday and one for Sunday."
"Cool" says the boy. He notices a 6-pack and asks, "Then who are these for?"
"Those are for college men," the dad answers, TWO for Friday, TWO for Saturday and TWO for Sunday."
"WOW!" exclaimed the boy, "then who uses THESE?" he asks, picking up a 12-pack.
With a sigh and a tear in his eye, the dad replied, "Those are for married men.  One for January, one for February, one for March......."

No comments:

Post a Comment