Friday, November 16, 2018

Thursday, November 15, 2018


Last night was pretty typical; in bed by 11, up twice during the night, finally waking/getting up at 7:15.  (Interestingly I had a recurring dream about my first day in college.  Not the college I went to though.  Mainly I am just looking for my dorm room.  Sometimes the dream advances to where I have a reading assignment due soon that I haven’t started.  Btw, I majored in mathematics.)

After breakfast, while waiting for Teresa, I took a nap from 8:45 to 9:30.

We left the apt at 9:30 and walked up to Consumo (which I noticed is now called Merkepaisa).  They have a much smaller selection than Euro so I don’t know if we will be returning.

While waiting for our groceries to be checked out I noticed a young man wearing strange jeans.  They were like 1 dark pair sewn over a lighter pair in such a way that from a distance it looked like he had the jeans down to his ass.

It only cost 6mil for the taxi and we were back at the apt by 11am.

I asked Teresa about her mother’s SS payments and she said that she is now receiving them.  Good, now I don’t have to worry about that again.

Tonight we have the Green Bay Packers at Seattle Seahawks.  Go Seattle!

I left the apt about 1:30, walked down the hill and soon caught an Envigado bus to Monterrey mall.  I went upstairs to the Omega Store where I’ve done business before and asked if anyone spoke English.  No.  I apologized for my poor Spanish and then asked if they could cut 110cm off my HDMI cable and put a plug on the cut end.  The young man explained to me that if I did that I would experience 90% faults.  I asked if they sold a 1 meter long HDMI cable and he had 2 sizes – a little less than a meter and the size I ended up buying 1.8 meters for 18mil.

Outside the mall and across the street I caught an Envigado bus.
Entering Envigado the bus was stopped in traffic and I saw a car in the inside lane (other side of the street) sitting at a strange angle to the median strip with a young man on a motorcycle in between.  A 30ish man got out of the passenger side of the car and approached the young man yelling at him and then pushing him and the motorcycle.  The young man got off and threw his helmet down like he was going to start beating on the older man but he was a head shorter and lacking about 100# in muscle.  The taller man started slapping him around and the young man stumbled back into our side of the street.  He finally walked to the front of the car and started taking a photo of the license plate when our bus started moving again so I don’t know how it ended.  (In the US there would probably be shots fired.)

I got off at the mall and went inside to the Auros internet café.  I had to wait in line for about 10 minutes in the stuffy Exito with no A/C and no air flow.  When it was my turn I used the computer to log into Teresa’s email account and looked for this month’s Claro bill to print.  I didn’t see it so I logged out and thankfully I wasn’t charged anything.

I couldn’t get good wifi in the mall so I bought a coffee in Starbucks, sat down and texted Laura.  She said I should check the spam or unwanted emails folder.  Sigh!

I finished my coffee and went back to Auros where I waited in line for another 10 minutes.  In the meantime I observed a man printing in color what looked like a Wanted poster.  I logged in again and looked for spam but all I saw was a Claro ad from November 7th.
I logged back out, returned to Starbucks and gave Laura the bad news.  Compared to Auros and the mall, Starbucks today was downright cold!

When I left I saw that we had gotten a little rain while I was inside.
Back at the apt I asked Teresa when the men are going to fix my desk drawer and now she tells me I have to go to Home Center to buy a new shelf slide.  The movers removed the faulty one and took measurements but if they weren’t going to replace it I wish Teresa had told me earlier.  How many times have I been to the mall, and even Home Center, in the last week?

I tested my TV Listener and it worked fine in our new apartment.
Tomorrow Teresa has another doctor’s appointment at 10am at the Las Americas clinic on Avenida 80.

Teresa talked to someone (who called her) and she didn’t disconnect the phone so Teresa is still connected and can’t hang up.

It was 7:30 at night and we could hear the Dunkin Donuts truck blaring their theme song.  (Teresa told me she heard it at 2am last night but I think she was probably dreaming.)

I watched the first half of the Packers vs Seahawks game.  All 3 broadcasters picked Seattle to win but when I went to bed the Packers were winning 21-17.

I never got another text message from Jose (from the gym) about our meeting for coffee.

Joke of the day
IDIOT SIGHTING #1
My daughter and I went through the McDonald's driveup window and I gave the cashier a $5 bill.
Our total was $4.25, so I also handed her 25c.
She said, 'you gave me too much money.'
I said, 'Yes I know, but this way you can just give me a dollar bill back.'
She sighed and went to get the manager who asked me to repeat my request.
I did so, and he handed me back the 25c, and said 'We're sorry but we don’t do that kind of thing.'
The cashier then proceeded to give me back 75 cents in change.
Do not confuse the people at McDonald's.


No comments:

Post a Comment