Friday, November 2, 2018

Wednesday, October 31, 2018


Happy Halloween!  Or Happy Moving Day(s)!

I got up once during the night, again about 5:30 finally getting up for good at 6:30.  We left the apt at 7:30 for Teresa’s mammogram appointment.  The Las Americas clinic is in City Plaza CC, a small mall in Envigado that I have been wanting to visit.  The medical office is in the 3rd basement level.  I paid 121mil (about $39.50) and we waited about 5 minutes for her to be called.  It seemed like I got an internet connection but my cellphone didn’t register a wifi connection.  Is that possible?   Teresa came out about 30 minutes later and we went upstairs to the food court where all the restaurants were still closed.  We finally found a Juan Valdez on another level and I had a café con leche with a large chocolate chip cookie and Teresa had a hot chocolate with some type of pastry.
We easily caught a taxi back to the apt for 6mil.

I disassembled Laura’s bed and we packed more things in large plastic bags.

Laura happened to mention that it always rains on October 31st.

The movers arrived and we moved some furniture to the new apt. The movers left and we went up to the same restaurant in La Buena Mesa where we all had the lunch of the day for 48mil ($16).  (Their cold, fresh mango juice is to die for.)

We took a taxi back to the old apt and when the movers arrived they packed the heavy bed and several other things including my computer.  (I can write to my blog notes but it will probably be awhile before we have internet again.)

The movers helped us put the bed back together.  When they were setting up the desk (which used to be Laura’s but now is mine for my computer) they noticed the slide for the front drawer wasn’t working.  Before I could figure out for myself what was wrong they removed a slide to take to a hardware store Teresa asked me for 120 mil for the movers and I gave her 150mil because I wanted to keep the 20 mil I had for a taxi ride.  (It can be difficult to get change for a 50 from a taxi driver.)  I understood Jairo (Don) didn’t have change so I had to give her my 20.

About 3:30 when we were about to return to the old apt for the last bed (ours) it started raining.  The movers left and we started putting things away.

After about 4:30 it was cute to see the little kids in costume walking down the street with their parents.

At 5pm the rain stopped and as we were leaving the portero (doorman) said that because today is Halloween it will be impossible to get a taxi.  A minute later a taxi arrived, someone got out and we got in.  He dropped us off and as expected he didn’t have change for my 50mil.  We went up to the apt looking for cash and between the 3 of us we found 5,400 pesos for the minimum fare.

Jairo arrived with his truck at 5:30 and he and another worker loaded 3 tables and a mirror into the truck.  At the antique store we unloaded everything and the owner seemed less than impressed with our things.

Teresa was deeply engrossed in coversation with the owner and finally I interruped her and told her I’m hungry.  Laura and I went across the street to Antica Pizzeria where we had pizza and had finished by the time Teresa joined us.  It seemed like she was talking to the owner for hours.  An interesting note about the pizza place: I used their restroom and I saw they had a metal sink with a hole in the bottom that led directly into the tank of the toilet.  Now that’s conserving water.

Laura told me she called Une and they are coming tomorrow also.

After pizza we got lucky again and quickly caught a taxi.  Instead of arriving at the apt quickly for the minimum fare of 5,400 pesos we hit heavy traffic nearing downtown.  It was interesting to see lots of kids and even adults in Halloween costumes walking around downtown.  At one point we encountered a street closed off, apparently for a block party, and we had to detour.  Traffic wasn’t budging and finally Teresa said this is getting too expensive so I paid the driver 8,600 mil and we got out and walked the rest of the way.

Later Laura walked back to the new apt to sleep alone because our bed didn’t make the move today.

Joke of the day
Reasons for Sensitivity Training for Men:
 
My wife has been missing a week now. The police said to prepare for the worst. So, I had to go down to Goodwill to get all her clothes back.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment