Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday, May 13th, 2013

Slept pretty well last night.

Did my yoga exercises, showered, had my coffee, read the newspaper, then took a taxi to The Flip Flop Sandwich shop in El Poblado a couple of blocks east of Parque Lleras.  It is obvious that today is a holiday because there were no kids walking to school and the neighborhood seems deserted. Luckily this restaurant was open as it is an American breakfast place with little more than 2 yellow umbrella tables out front. I had eggs scrambled with tomato, onion, sausage with toast and coffee for about 11mil. Talked to a few expats there: Jim and Bucky. We were joined by another younger man later named John. John is the one I remember meeting at Le Bon Cafe in Parque Lleras when I visited Medellin last June. He had said that the expats meet there every day and tell each other lies. lol.

I left there just before 10am and took another taxi a short ways further east and met another expat named Tommy who gave me a lot of tips about living in Medellin and sold me one of his extra laptops.

Left there about noon and took my laptop straight home.  Besides new locks on all the doors I have added some additional security I won't mention here!

Had lunch at Burger King in Viva Mall. I had the special burger of the day - Hamburger Mexicana which was like a Whopper jr. with cheese and guacamole. Not too bad. I think I'll come back on some Thursday and Friday as those specials looked interesting too.  So for 7,900 I got the burger, small fries, and a 12oz. Pepsi.

Yesterday I saw that Rosetta Stone was offering a Mothers Day special.  I was happy to receive an email this afternoon offering the special for one more day.  So I spent the remainder of the afternoon setting up the computer: removing the old  User Accounts, adding my new one, getting access to my Wi-Fi, and ordering and installing Rosetta Stone - Spanish (Latin America).

That last step took about 2 hours - while that was completing I went to Viva Mall for dinner.  I had the Pasta of the Day at Alfredo's: Fetuccini Chicken with Tomato.  Very tasty.  And of course garlic bread and coca cola.  All for only 6,900 ($3.83).  (I hope I can keep finding these inexpensive specials - I might be able to eat before my next influx of cash next month.)  I wish they offered juice or milk instead.  So I probably will have trouble again trying to get to sleep. 

I stopped in Exito to buy a USB headset with microphone because RS requires it.  Would you believe they don't sell any?  All they have use the separate microphone and earphone jacks.  I already have one of those.  So, tomorrow I'm probably going to take a trip to Carrefour and see if I can find one.

It's so nice to have a laptop again!


After Rosetta Stone installed I received the message “You have 3 months of online access to Rosetta Stone components for Spanish (Latin America).  This access begins now.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment