Friday, May 11, 2018

Thursday, May 10, 2018


I got up twice during the night, woke up at 6:40am and finally gave up getting back to sleep and got up at 7:40am.

I received an email from Alex; they arrived at 61Prado at midnight last night.  Chuck and I will probably meet up with him tomorrow or Saturday.  He might even come to meet us in Envigado.

I watched the first hour of the Today show.

Laura left at 12:30.  I understand first she’s picking up the utility bill for the finca in Caldas and then she’s going to meet with her grandmother.

I left the apt about 3pm and checked the usual places but no Chuck.  I ended up at the bakery where I enjoyed a cafĂ© con leche – at least until a bee did a kamikaze act into it.  Across the street there was a tent set up advertising a presidential candidate.  (The one I see the most is Duque so my money’s on him.)  About half a dozen police showed up on motorcycles and milled around the area.  I thought it might be security for the presidential candidate but they soon left.  A few minutes later what looked like a “mounted policeman” in smokey the bear hat and breeches suitable for horseback riding showed up.  He had a german shepherd with him and it was obvious they were sweeping the area.  For drugs?  For explosives?  No idea.  Finally Chuck showed up but told me he had to take Darnely to a restaurant for lunch.  It’s a seafood place so I didn’t go with them as I knew I wouldn’t be able to stand the smell.

I paid the 1,800 pesos for my coffee and returned to the apt.
About 5pm it started raining but it soon stopped.

Laura returned at 6pm, and reported that we have a 2pm Sunday reservation at Tagliata in El Poblado.  She then called MT and found that she’s going to Vicky’s on Sunday.  We decided that we would take her to Mu for ribs Saturday night and the 3 of us would go to Tagliata on Sunday.  But with both of those expenses and what I’m paying for the fence around the finca I won’t be able to afford to buy shoes, purse and blouse for her for Mother’s Day.

Teresa and I left the apt at 6:30 for some things she needed from Home Center for the finca.  First we each had a hotdog and soda at Doggers for 24,600 (about $9).  Then she wanted a bag of chips and that was another 3,500.  (We should have gotten one of the combos.)

She spent 10 minutes choosing a hammer – ball peen or claw?  Wood or metal?  Heavy or light?  I asked her what she’s going to be hitting and my app translated it to wheelbarrow.  Why are you going to be hitting a wheelbarrow I asked?  She showed me a wheelbarrow and I understood that something is loose on it.  (Oh yeah, hitting it will always fix it.)  Then she decided to get a new wheelbarrow and she spent about 30 minutes getting someone to help her.  It seemed like it could be purchased unassembled.  She decided to wait and see how much they cost in Caldas.  Then she asked me to return the hammer.  She picked up some bags of plastic and upstairs on the second level she picked out a plastic rake with a wood handle.  I confirmed that I could remove the screw holding it together and she could reassemble it at the finca.  She picked up a plastic drawer to hold her hobby work.

I noticed on my cellphone that it was raining and sure enough it was coming down pretty good outside.  I said not to worry as we’ll take a taxi.  Outside there were already people waiting for one so Teresa had the bright idea to go to Exito.  Holding up the umbrella for both of us as best I could we walked over to Exito where we caught a taxi right away.  We were back at the apt by 9pm.

I received an email from Alex and we’re going to meet in Parque Envigado around noon.  I forwarded it to Chuck and I hope he will be able to join us.

Teresa continues to watch the telenovela Si Hay Paraiso Sin Tetas, which translates to Yes, there is paradise without tits.  She thought it was going to end last Monday but it’s till going…on … and on…

T-shirt of the day: Dirt does a body good.

No comments:

Post a Comment