Sunday, July 7, 2019

Saturday, July 6, 2019


Last night I fell asleep rather quickly but got up at 3:30, followed by a leg cramp at 4:30, got up at 5am and read for about 45 minutes before returning to bed.  I got up at 7:15, had a bowl of cereal, showered and we left the apt at 8am for Mayorista.

I helped Teresa with some things at Euro and while she was finishing up I went outside and had a cafĂ© con leche and checked my messages (Whatsapp).  Teresa bought something to eat and we were soon on our way back to the apt in an effectivo.

I still had at least a couple hours before lunch so I walked to the mall to Home Center and quickly found the correct aisle for the drawer runners.  The only problem is they had 5 shelves of different sizes and types.  I was on the 3rd shelf when a salesman stopped and asked if he could help me.  I showed him the old runner and it took him about 5 seconds to find the same size.  For my future reference the package said “Guia full extension 35 kls 1.0mm 1 x 1 x 1 45 m DB450B 805019100” and it was only 9,900 pesos.

When I went to go back upstairs the escalator was not running and was closed off.  I could have walked out of this basement level and through the parking lot to the mall proper but I instead started walking up the down escalator.  I was making progress but not quickly enough so I ended up running up which became a nice, although short, workout.

At the cash self checkout I ran into another problem and a kind Colombian helped me figure out what I was doing wrong.  I returned to the apt.

After lunch I spent some more time working on the drawer but I ran out of direct light and I need my electric drill.

We took a short 30 minute nap.

The Dunkin Donuts truck came by and I told Teresa: “Yo quiero pero no necesito”.  I’m trying to understand the theme song they play.  It’s in English but difficult to understand but so far I’ve figured out “can’t find it in the grocery store”.
I googled that and I think I found the jingle:
"Dunkin' Donuts, you can't buy 'em in a grocery store. Dunkin Donuts, you can't buy 'em in a bakery. Dunkin Donuts, they're not for sale in a restaurant....you have to get 'em at Dunkin Donuts, it's worth the trip."

We bought 2 tubes of a new Colgate toothpaste that Dr. Rendon recommended.  Teresa took the top off one and you would think it would be open but it’s still sealed and I couldn’t figure out how to open it.  I called the Dr. and basically you have to poke a hole in the top of the tube.  Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to me.
Today we flipped our mattress so we’ll see if that helps my back at all.

I sprayed some WD-40 on my bathroom door hoping that I won’t wake Teresa when I make my middle of the night trips to the bathroom.

We left the apt at 4:30 for Pricesmart.  Teresa picked up 2 cases of her almond milk, cheese, a package of almonds, a package of blueberries (for my pancakes) and a package of tilapia filets.  I picked up a container of milk chocolate covered almonds.  Even though it was quite crowded we checked out quickly and after only a 5-minute wait we were in a taxi back to the apt.  The mall they are building across the street looks like it might be near completion.  The taxi driver had FM station 106.9 on which is a classic rock station.  He doesn’t speak much English but he likes the music.  I remember hearing “What a feeling”.  We were back at the apt before 6pm.  After I dropped off everything I went down to our garage storage area and picked up my drill case which I’ll need tomorrow.

Today was a nice day as the high was only about 80 degrees, sunny and no rain.

I started watching The Hateful Eight (7.8) on Netflix.  Wow, I watched it for almost 2 hours and there’s still 1:20 left.  Hmm, according to IMDB it’s 2 hours and 48 minutes long so I guess I took more breaks than I thought.

7,947 steps today.

Joke of the day
An engineer was crossing a road one day, when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess."  He bent over, picked up the frog, and put it in his pocket.  The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn back into a beautiful princess and stay with you for one week." The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket.  The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want." Again, the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket.  Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter?  I've told you I'm a beautiful princess and that I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want.  Why won't you kiss me?"  The engineer said, "Look, I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog - now that's cool."

3 comments:

  1. Terry, Did you know that Dunkin' Donuts in the US has rebranded itself?

    They've deleted the Donuts part and are just DBA as Dunkin'.

    Guess that name change isn't international yet.

    Wonder if that will happen –or not.

    We'll see.

    Cheers!
    ==

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't, but I remember a lot of companies were doing that - like KFC. Does that mean they are expanding their menu beyond donuts and coffee? Like, sandwiches, fancy coffees and juices?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes their menu has expanded, just the way you guressed. They are trying to attract a breakfast & lunch crowd with appropriate sandwiches, coffees, etc.

      I've recently seen a couple of their ads on TV with the newly truncated logo.

      Cheers!
      ==

      Delete