Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014



Last night I went to bed at 10pm, got up several times during the night, finally woke/got up at 7am.

Luckily I found Beatriz right away sweeping the sidewalk of her building next to the corner store and gave her my dirty laundry.

I was at El Comedor de Chava just before 8am and I gave Lucas my usual order and he helped me set up a table and chairs.  

After breakfast and a little Spanish study I had a glass of orange juice at Redd’s before my Spanish class.

Back at the apartment I remade my bed with clean sheets then washed a few t-shirts and hung them up to dry.

Another reason I believe Tom Clancy didn’t write The Teeth of the Tiger is due to the lack of continuity.  Since the last book, according to this new book: Jack Ryan has retired as president, his vice-president was assassinated, and Jack Ryan Jr. is grown up and has graduated from college.  Another reason, according to Wikipedia, “Like Red Rabbit,[1][2] Clancy's The Teeth of the Tiger was poorly received by critics.[3] Reviews for The Teeth of the Tiger have been "tepid at best."[3] The Washington Post described it as a "bloated, boring, silly novel"[4] with "inane dialogue, gossamer characterizations, endless repetition and bumper-sticker politics."[4] The St. Louis Post-Dispatch panned it as well, saying that the most positive thing about the book was that it was "mercifully briefer than its chronological predecessor in the Jack Ryan series.".[5][6]

The 4 remaining books after this are all Jack Ryan Jr. novels that I believe were authored by others so I guess I’m done reading “Tom Clancy”.  I even sent an email to Barnes & Noble asking if I could have a refund and then I removed it from my Nook.

My next book is one that Tom Clancy recommended in one of his earlier books – the 260 page Double-Edged Secrets by W.J. Holmes.  It’s the story of the breaking of the Japanese naval codes during World War II.

About 3pm I stopped at Angus House in LM and had one of their Angus burger combos for 16,100 which included a few fries and a soda.  It usually comes with bacon but since they said it isn’t crispy I decided to skip it.  It was pretty good although it seemed like I ate half of it before I found any cooked onions so they could have been spread them around better.  Eventually I’ll probably try everything on their menu.

Back at the apartment for a little more study, a little more reading and probably another episode of House of Cards, and later another bowl of cereal for dinner.

I got an email from Teresa.  It wasn’t real clear but I think she wants to join me for a movie so I suggested Hotel Budapest this Thursday at 12:50 at Santafe or 2:30 at El Tesoro.

T-shirt of the day: No room for losers.

No comments:

Post a Comment