Monday, September 10, 2018

Tuesday, September 4, 2018



Today is Laura’s 21st birthday!  She got the shoes she wanted so I guess the next priority is sushi for dinner.  I understand she has a place in Santafe mall that she likes.

I slept pretty well last night despite getting up twice – once about 12:30am when it started raining and the second time about 4am.  I finally woke/got up at 7:45.

After a breakfast of granola with banana slices I left the apt at 9am.  I arrived at the chess league at 10am and Jose was waiting for me.  (The next chess tournament is October 4th-7th in the coliseum of the University of Medellin.  I understand it’s just up the hill from Los Molinos mall.  Even though it falls on Teresa’s and my birthday the timing is good because it’s the Bears bye week.) 

I had the Black pieces in the first game and, according to Jose, I started my attack prematurely and I lost.

We walked over to Tropical restaurant in the Obelisco mall where we got the menu of the day for 10,500 pesos (about $3.50).  I couldn’t get an internet connection maybe because they are using a different network than before.  While we were eating it started raining.  I had my umbrella with me but Jose neglected to bring one.  When the rain eased we ran across the street and tried to find dry places on our way back.

I had the White pieces in the second game and I soon blundered and he grabbed my rook but I trapped his queen and it was a fight for him to rescue it and for me to take his queen; one that I eventually lost.

It was raining hard so Jose decided to wait it out and I walked to the Stadium station.  Back in Envigado I stopped at the bookstore and exchange my paperback for another one.

I stopped at the small bakery for a café con leche and was unable to get an internet connection; right in front of city hall where I’ve never had a problem before.  When I left I got a connection by Bartolos bar and I sat nearby for a few minutes checking a few stories. 

One strange thing; I noticed that my cellphone got updates at 9:30 and 4:15 right when I was in the area of the San Antonio station so I must have found a hotstop somewhere around there.
I bought a bottle of Magnesium tablets at a nearby pharmacy that I had forgotten to buy yesterday.

Back at the apt there is still no wifi.

Teresa informed me that Laura had 13 pieces of sushi with her girlfriends and is all sushi’d out so she wants to wait until the weekend for our dinner.

About 5:30 I walked over to Subway and picked up sandwiches for Teresa and I for dinner.  Both to and from I was unable to get a wifi connection in the park.  I did get one by Bartolos again – strange. 
Maybe Une or Envigado does have an internet problem.

About 10pm Teresa called me to the bedroom window where I could see searchlights in the location of the new Viva mall so she declared the mall is no open.  I told her that this might just be a test for opening night.

Laura came back at 10:30 and after wishing her a Happy Birthday she confirmed she had seen the searchlights.  A few minutes later they were off but came on again a few minutes after.

Laura had to show me again how I can “tether” my cellphone the data on Teresa’s cellphone, giving me an internet connection.  She isn’t good at teaching me how to do it, I just have to watch enough times until I catch on.  This allows me to get some internet on my cellphone but not on my laptop.  I wonder if Teresa’s cellphone is going to have a huge bill next time I pay.

Teresa told me she’s going to the finca tomorrow but she should be back in time to see the movie Alfa playing at Vizcaya at 6:40.  I asked her what I should do if Une rings our bell and she decided she needs to stay in the apt and go to the finca another day.

Today’s Step Count was 10,610.

Joke of the day
A husband and wife had a bitter quarrel on the day of their 40th wedding anniversary!
The husband yells, "When you die, I'm getting you a headstone that reads, ‘Here Lies My Wife - Cold as Ever.'”
"Yeah?" she replies. "When you die, I'm getting you a headstone that reads, ‘Here Lies My Husband - Stiff At Last.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment