Thursday, September 21, 2023

Friday, September 1, 2023

We had an early breakfast at Dixi café. I ordered scrambled eggs, bacon and potatoes. This is what they brought me:



I sent the bacon back to have it cooked more and still I only ate a little of it. We also had a couple coffees.

Back at the hostel we finished packing and by 9am we were walking down the 2 blocks to the taxi stand I saw yesterday.

It was 30 Euros for our trip to the airport for our 12:30 flight to Athens. I was in 17C and Teresa was in 17D (extra legroom again without reclining seats).

I finished reading Abhimanyu Mishra’s The Youngest Grandmaster in the World on my Nook. It includes a lot of his games so I’ll go over those with his annotations when we return to Medellin and I get caught up on my blog posts.

We landed on time at the Athens airport at 5pm. We had a long wait to pick up our bags but since we’re in the Shengen region (European Union) at least we didn’t have to go through immigration again.

Our driver was waiting for us and took us through downtown Athens to A Painter’s House in Plaka.

I had specific instructions to enter the courtyard by pressing 4 numbers on the outside code box.

Inside we had apt 5 and I entered a specific set of numbers to open the box and retrieve the room key.

The place included a small kitchenette but we only used the fridge to make ice. Down 3 steps to a small bathroom on the left and a large open “living room/bedroom” on the right. There was a large armoire but we basically continued to live out of our suitcases and at least we now had lots of space to open them up. At least it had a desk that I could use for my laptop. We took a short nap.

Back outside and around the corner, less than 100’ from the building entrance, was a Greek (Lol, of course it is) restaurant named Zorba’s where we had a light supper for 25 Euros ($27.35). 



We counted 4 cats underfoot that seemed to be a normal thing there.




Further up the hill is a café and more restaurants. We shared a salad with a bottle of water and a dessert.

We were tired so we set up our phones to be recharged and went to bed at 11pm.

 

Twitter ‘Hall of Fame’ Posts



No comments:

Post a Comment