Friday, September 15, 2023

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

When we got off the plane, I had already received a couple texts from our driver Jesus that he would be waiting outside the door with a sign with my name.

I sent him texts giving our progress until I noticed in the LONG immigration line that cellphones are not allowed.




I set up my cellphone with the free airport wifi and turned it off. It went quickly as soon as it was our turn. We made a trip to the restroom then went to wait for our bags. They finally came and we headed out the door. A few people in the little crowd held up signs but not with my name. I walked around the area a couple times but didn’t see Jesus. I found this message from Booking.com:



I sent him a text that we would only wait 10 more minutes before taking a taxi. I found an ATM and had no trouble withdrawing 600 Euros.  Ten minutes later we went outside and got in a medium-sized line that moved quickly. Our ride was a flat fare of 30euros compared with the 50 euros I had already paid for Jesus. I finally received messages from Jesus that were sent much earlier. Apparently, he is only contracted to have to wait an hour or 90 minutes and we must have just missed him. (That’s ridiculous since there were about 200 people on our Boeing 787-8 and it takes time to get through immigration and pick up our bags.)

Note to future self, take an airport taxi and save myself the trouble.

Our driver dropped us off about a block from our hostel, the Hostal Inter Plaza Mayor but we had little trouble finding it. It’s less than a block from the huge plaza, Plaza Mayor, which can probably be deduced from the name. Outside the huge doors were about 8 buzzers but one was marked Inter Plaza Mayor and they quickly buzzed us in. No front desk, just stairs and an elevator. I pressed the button to call the elevator and it was barely large enough for 2 people. I had Teresa stay with the bags and I went up to the 5th floor and nothing. Fourth floor the same. I finally found the entrance to the hostel on the 3rd floor. We got checked in, were given a TV control and A/C control and 2 cards and moved to our room. It’s about 16’ x 8’ plus a bathroom. There is a free-standing armoire with 1 hanger. Air conditioner that I set but I didn’t know how to turn on.  I went to the front desk and the girl showed me how to turn it on.

We went out and walked around and Teresa was amazed by the shops selling inexpensive dresses. Too much, I can see I’m going to have trouble getting her out of this shopping paradise.

We had supper at a restaurant on our block called Dixie Bar. Teresa had baked chicken and ravioli and the prices were reasonable.






We walked about 4 blocks away where we had new sim cards placed in our cell phones and bought a small plan.

We walked around the plaza, Plaza Mayor.

I realized we forgot to purchase an outlet adaptor so we returned to the same store and bought one for 3 euros.

We went to bed at 8pm.

 

Twitter ‘Hall of Fame’ Posts

 


1 comment:

  1. Terry, so very glad you made it to Spain okay.
    Jack Williams

    ReplyDelete