Sunday, March 29, 2020

Saturday, March 28, 2020


 

My 12th day of self-isolation.


Last night I went to bed at 10:30 fell asleep quickly and didn’t wake up until 5:15 so almost 7 hours was good for me.  I stayed in bed and it took some time to fall back asleep and I finally woke/got up at 8:15.


I received a couple more comments from my blog readers - this time thanking me for creating such a detailed timeline.  It’s a shame the complainers didn’t have anything positive to offer.


I looked at the Johns Hopkins map trying to find countries that haven’t reported any coronavirus cases.  Even islands like Dominican Republic and Bermuda have cases.  So far, Angola (and a few neighboring countries like Chad) look pretty clear.


At 1pm news, 608 confirmed cases in Colombia.


Teresa called and ordered 4 bags of milk and some carrots.  I went down to the porter to pick them up when they called.


I went back down to the storage area and opened my suitcase and took out my jump rope.  I might as well try to get some cardio.


I watched the first episode (season 1) of Dirty Money on Netflix.  It was about Volkwagen lying about their diesel emissions.


I could see a man across the street running laps in the hallway of his apt.


I guess I finally convinced Teresa to call Go Wings as she ordered their wing combos to be delivered for 36,900.


Per the 7pm news: 20,000 dead in Europe; a Medellin hospital has been abandoned for coronavirus clensing; people are selling fake coronavirus tests; almost 3,000 foreigners are leaving on humanitarian flights from Bogota.


It was nice to have something not so healthy to eat for a change.  Lol.


I recommend following this Johns Hopkins coronavirus dashboard:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Click on the US on the left then look at the confirmed cases graph on the lower right.  The cases have increased greatly since about the 1st of March.  Switch it to the “daily increase” and you can see that the US cases have increased by 20,000+ daily the last few days.


About 9:15 someone started shouting “apage la luz” (turn off the lights).  There was some compliance and eventually others (mostly kids) in the area started shouting the same.  Of course, Teresa had to turn off the only light we had on and I closed my laptop.  That was about it for light for us for the remainder of the night.


Joke of the day

A travel agent looked up from his desk to see an older lady and an older gentleman peering in the shop window at the posters showing the glamorous destinations around the world.

The agent had had a good week and the dejected couple looking in the window gave him a rare feeling of generosity.

He called them into his shop and said, "I know that on your pension you could never hope to have a holiday, so I am sending you off to a fabulous resort at my expense, and I won't take no for an answer."

He took them inside and asked his secretary to write two flight tickets and book a room in a five-star hotel.

They, as can be expected, gladly accepted, and were on their way.

About a month later the little lady came into his shop.

"And how did you like your holiday?" he asked eagerly.

"The flight was exciting and the room was lovely," she said. "I've come to thank you. But, one thing puzzled me.

Who was that old guy I had to share the room with?"


5 comments:

  1. Terry, the cardio work will be great for your physical as well as mental health. It has been a little challenging for me during this time as well to get in physical activity. OK now on to it. You ask for corrections so here is one without even looking hard. According to the link you suggested the daily increase for the latest day posted has not reached 20, 000 yet. The statement that has been a daily increase of 20,000+ for the last few days is inaccurate according to the link you suggested. For a couple of positives even in the severity of the situation, according to the link you suggested the mortality rate is well below 2% and considering the per-existing health issues of persons in the mortality demographic that is below that potential that has has been suggested to date. Also the recovery rate still exceeds the mortality rate. While all deaths are concerns this is a sliver of hope that should be promoted but taken with a prudent approach to the fact that like with the seasonal flu everyone should take appropriate precautions. A coming together instead of an attitude of confrontation is better suited to fight the common foe of the virus. My prayers are for all who are working to address this situation from medical staff to government leaders and those effected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I can see, via the Johns Hopkins website, the daily increase has been at least 20,000 since March 19th and the last 5 days its been over 50,000 per day. I agree that people with pre-existing health conditions are much more vulnerable. Its pretty obvious to me that one of Trump's goals is certainly not a coming together of Americans with his calling out of governors, name calling, trashing the media and the democrats, etc. Btw, I've voted republican most of my life.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the "daily increase" on the Johns Hopkins dashboard.

      Delete
  2. Terry, here is another useful COVID-19 Dashboard which is updated each day at midnight:
    https://ncov2019.live/?fbclid=IwAR3sKzytaZLX2iIMTk6qM0uZZjCqHwE154yPFJcK44oJTGntTNn7QDJ75hU
    . . . and this Dashboard is currently indicating that 192 of 195 countries globally are showing one or more cases of the virus.
    ==

    ReplyDelete