Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sunday, December 15th, 2013



Last night I watched another episode of Lie to Me.  I had picked up a small packet of butter (probably margarine) at the hotel when I was there for breakfast so I used it to make some popcorn.

I went to bed at 10:30 and got up 4 times during the night.  The last time was 5am and I took 2 Excedrin Migraine because I wasn’t feeling quite right. Yeah, it was probably the salt in the popcorn I had last night.

Only 10 days until Christmas; except for the lights I see on the houses at night it sure doesn’t feel like Christmas is coming.

At 8am this morning I was buying a small bag of milk at the store by Bob’s hostel.  I remember the time because I noticed church was just beginning.  While waiting my turn in line, the woman next to me was looking at the Classified ads in a newspaper.  I wonder if I should look for an apartment using the same newspaper.  I also saw a man going through the garbage can outside looking for bottles and other recyclables that can be sold for money.  It breaks your heart seeing the poverty here.  I try to help out whenever I can by giving my spare change to someone – usually the lady that sits on the crossover bridge all day on weekdays.

It’s time for some football!  Today, it’s my 7-6 Chicago Bears at the 4-9 Cleveland Browns.  Go Bears!

I left the apartment at 12:30 and got as far as the park when I realized I’d left my notes behind.  The main one has the game I want to see to give to the waiter at Sport Wings.  A 2nd note had written on it “voy a ver el fútbol Americano” (I’m going to see American football) just in case I ran into Gloria.  Now I had to move it.  I grabbed my notes and walked briskly to Sport Wings, got there 2 minutes early and they switched to my game pretty quickly.

Today is the final game (championship?) between A/N & Cali in the Medellin Stadium so Sport Wings had extra tables set up (plastic tables with little stools, not even real chairs; how tacky) for the big game later today at 5:30.

I looked over at one of the other screens and they were already talking about the upcoming A/N game and there were already people in the stands (4 hours before game time)!

Jay Cutler looked a little rusty in the 1st half and at the half the score was tied 10-10.  He often throws the ball up for grabs hoping Marshall & Jeffery’s athleticism and height advantage will allow them to make the catch.  Sometimes it works but sometimes it backfires.

When I came back from a trip to the bathroom there was a pretty woman (beautiful eyes & hair) seated right in front of me (with her husband/boyfriend).  We made eye contact a couple times and we smiled at each other.  When she left I watched her as she walked outside and turned down the sidewalk and she looked back at me and smiled!  What a flirt!  Not sure who I’m talking about here.  Lol.

One thing Devin Hester does that really irritates me is when he runs back a punt and then runs out of bounds when confronted by the punter.  The punter!  Someone please tell him to stop being a wuss and if you can’t cut back against the grain, run over the MF!  That really irritates me.  
 
The same thing happens when there’s an interception and the only man left is the QB and the player runs out of bounds.  Grrrr!

I had the small burger deluxe (without bacon or mayonnaise) and 3 Cokes and the total came to 29,204 (tip & tax included) and I left an additional 4 mil tip ($17.48) since I stay so long after finishing my food.

The Bears prevailed 38-31.  Now I have to go to Patrick’s tomorrow night and watch the Ravens beat the Lions; then the Bears will be alone in first place.

I stopped at McDonald’s across the street and bought a mixed ice cream cone for 2mil ($1).  (A young lady (manager?) probably recognized me as a Gringo and came over with the menu of desserts and spoke English.)

At 5pm back at my apartment I can hear the cheering from the stadium – how many miles away?  It’s still 30 minutes before game time. You can’t say they aren’t devoted to their fútbol down here.

About 6pm I went to Viva mall and watched the remainder of the A/N vs Cali Championship game.  At 7pm I saw a few fireworks just south of us.  By 7:30 A/N had won 2-0.  I saw a sign on TV that said this is A/N’s 3rd title in 2013.  Not sure how that is possible; it seemed to me there were 2 6-month seasons.  For dinner I had another Chef’s Wrap at Burger King and a small strawberry milkshake for 14,300 (with coupon; $7.53).  I stayed until I finished a chapter in my book and when I left there was heavy traffic in the 2 lanes coming from the direction of the stadium.  Cars were blowing their horns, there were fireworks in the sky and and 45 minutes later there are still firecrackers going off.  

www.weather.com had predicted a 100% chance of rain from last Wednesday thru today and we haven’t had a drop.  You can’t trust anybody anymore.  Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment