Monday, July 13, 2020

Sunday, July 12, 2020


Self-isolation Day 117.

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep quickly, got up twice during the night, again at 5:45, finally waking/getting up at 7:30.

Last night I played 6 games on Chess.com, winning 2, losing 3, and tying 1. My finger slipped in one game putting a bishop where he could capture it and I immediately resigned. In another I lost my internet connection which resulted in a time out loss.

Teresa left at 9am for the finca. It’s possible she will stay overnight there to take care of some business.

It was drizzling lightly but it stopped about 9:15 and the sky got brighter.

I left the apt at 10:25 and arrived at Aymará at 10:35. Glenn and James were already there. I brought a small towel which I used to dry off the ends of a metal bench. I bought a medium café con leche and a palito de queso in order to delay having to order lunch to later. We chatted for about an hour then it started raining lightly so we said our goodbyes. Not sure when we can meet again if I can only go out on Thursdays.

I stopped in the nextdoor Exito on my way back but they were completely out of milk.

At 1:10 I used my Rappi app to order chicken wings from Go Wings for 32,900 pesos.

At 3pm the high was only 76 degrees.

At 4:30 I remembered we don’t have any milk. I dressed to walk to the mall but as I headed to the guardhouse, I thought Mercado Madrid might have some. They did, I bought 3 bags and was back at the apt before 5pm.

Teresa returned about 6pm.

About 7:30 a mariachi band showed up by the guardhouse. They played for about 30 minutes then moved on.

 

President Donald Trump wore a mask in public for the first time during a visit to Walter Reed Army Medical Center on Saturday, a dramatic shift from the president’s past refusal to don a face covering publicly even as public health experts and the federal government recommend it to Americans. "Well, I'll probably have a mask, if you must know. I mean, I'll probably have a mask. I think when you're in a hospital, especially in that particular setting, where you're talking to a lot of soldiers and people that, in some cases, just got off the operating tables, I think it's a great thing to wear a mask. I've never been against masks, but I do believe they have a time and a place."  (That doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement for masks.)

 

Florida reported a record increase of more than 15,000 new cases of COVID-19 in a single day on Sunday as the growing outbreak forces state authorities to close some businesses and beaches. If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases a day behind the United States, Brazil and India.

 

The Republican chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he would call former special counsel Robert Mueller to testify about his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 campaign.

 

A Trump replay from April 20th: Trump on testing, “We are moving very rapidly.  And we'll be doubling our number of daily tests if the governors bring their states fully online to the capability that they have. We have tremendous capability out there already existing. We have testing coming in two weeks that will blow the industry away.”

 

The US has 3,189,117 ð 3,260,551 ð 3,315,363 coronavirus cases with 133,749 ð 134,581 ð 134,943 deaths. New cases are still increasing.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 140,776  ð 145,362  ð 150,445 cases with 5,307 deaths.  Medellin has 3,633 ð 3,940 ð 4,506 cases, an increase of 166 from July 9th to July 11th.  Envigado has a total of 191 cases, an increase of 11 from July 10th to July 11th.

According to the Bogota Mayor’s office, there are more than 47,524 cases of COVID-19 in Bogota.  Intensive Care Unit (ICU) beds in the city are reportedly at 87 percent occupancy.  The Mayor’s office announced additional isolation measures by neighborhood in three groups, which will last between July 13 - August 23.  

 

Joke of the day

An Englishman, a Frenchman, a Spaniard, and a German are watching a street performer.

The performer suddenly realizes that these men have a poor view so he gets up on a small platform.  “Can you all see me now?” he asks them.

They responded: “Yes.” “Oui.” “Si.” “Ja”.


No comments:

Post a Comment