Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday, July 15th, 2013



Last night I went over to the store and of course it was pretty crowded.  After a few minutes Olga and her husband caught my attention and offered me a seat next to them.  Jhon’s sister Penny (?) was also there.  Olga’s husband offered me some of his chips – I think they were called Chocolitos.  They had lemon in them so I didn’t care for them.  They seemed like Fritos and they are made by Frito Lay but with lemon so I asked him if they sell them without lemon and at first he said no but then he said yes but they have a different name – Maizitos.  “Maiz” is the Spanish word for corn.  At halftime I bought a large coke and a small bag of Maizitos.  I guess the guy who works in the store has a problem with my pronunciation because he had no idea what I was talking about.  Finally Olga’s husband came over and rescued me and the guy seemed sheepish like he should have known what I was asking for.  Maizitos are very much like Fritos but are made by a different company named Ramo.


I don’t want to hold you in suspense any longer.  The final score was Santa Fe 0 Atletico Nacional 0.  I know these professionals are highly skilled athletes and all but it seems to me there is a lot of luck involved in scoring a goal.  The ball has to bounce just right for you.

Another expats comment regarding yesterday’s topic:
Colombian women typically see gringos (non Colombian men) as gentlemen and sugar daddies. Colombian men see gringas (non Colombian women) as the same, easy manipulated sugar mommas. They typically go for blondes more. Be sure to try and hold men in any serious relationship to higher standards. There are plenty of good Colombian men here but they are usually quickly tied down by a Colombiana (Colombian woman).
I added the parentheses for clarity.

I went to bed at 9:15 last night, got up once to use the bathroom, woke up at 6am and got up at 6:30.

I removed the bedding and added the towels and took them to the cleaners.  They will be ready on Wednesday.  I took out money to pay the utility & communications bills but left them back at the apartment.  I stopped at Exito and bought a plastic container to hold both my feet for my pedicures.  I went back to the apartment and picked up my bills and took them to Exito.  I was in line for about 20 minutes but paid them with no difficulty.

I picked up a bag of milk for my cereal.  After breakfast I swept and mopped the master bedroom and bathroom.  Then I changed clothes and walked down to Avenida 80 and another 6 blocks south to Kit Kof Burguer; it’s just before the church on Calle 33.  It took me about 15 minutes. They had several different size burgers so I just ordered the next to the smallest with fries and a strawberry shake.  The total came to 21,600.  It was all very good but a little expensive.  I was the only customer at 12:30 on a Monday afternoon.  I asked the waitress how far it was to Los Molinos C.C. and was told by her and the cook that it was far.  I caught a bus right outside and counted the blocks to Los Molinos – about 8.  But with my tired legs I’m happy to pay $1 to save a long walk.

I found the Payless store and was looking for the shoes that Beatriz liked when the saleslady came up and asked if she could help.  In my broken Spanish I started to explain I was here Saturday and my girlfriend liked a pair of black shoes and she went right to them.  I guess she remembered us – and the shoes.  They were only 45mil ($23.68) which is a cheap price to make a lady happy.  I caught a bus back to Exito Laureles with no problem.  

I saw Jhon and made arrangements to have lunch at Likkes tomorrow.  (He wants me to come at noon to practice with one of his students first.)  Then I picked up my chess set and headed to Laureles Mall.  Dario showed up a little while later and we played 3 half-hour games of which I won 2.  (In the 3rd game he made a serious mistake early and resigned after the 7th move.)  After he left I cut through Exito when Beatriz called me.  Something about my apartment and 6pm and 8:15pm.  I’m not sure if she will come at 6pm and leave at 8:15pm or arrive sometime between 6pm and 8:15.  I made a waffle for myself; this time I made the batter a little thicker and cooked it for exactly 5 minutes.  (I put a glass of water in the microwave and set it to 5 minutes for my timer.  Lol)  It turned out the best yet.  

Just before 7pm I tried to access USTVNOW but I couldn’t get in.

Beatriz finally showed up at 7pm.  I gave her the shoes and she was very happy to have them and that I remembered she liked them.  She left just before 9pm.  I got into USTVNOW and watched the rerun of Sunday’s episode of Under the Dome.

No comments:

Post a Comment