Thursday, July 4, 2013

Thursday, July 4rd, 2013



Happy Independence Day everyone!

It’s now 1:30pm and time for me to share what I’ve been up to so far.

I went to bed at 9:30, got up a couple times during the night, woke up at 4am, and got up at 6:45.  After my shower and a bowl of cereal I caught a taxi at 7:30am.  My plan last night was to invite Beatriz for some ice cream and take some money out of the ATM on the way.  So this morning I didn’t have money to pay the dentist although I didn’t know how much it would cost either.  At the dentist office the front of the building is a Citibank so I went inside to see if my USAA debit card would work there.  (The irony is I have a Citibank debit card but there’s only enough money there to cover any monthly fees they might make against my account.)  Anyway, my card worked fine although there was an additional 9,760 pesos ($5.14) ATM fee.  It’s worth it to know I can now use my USAA card there in an emergency.  I was at the dentist office at 8:10 for my 8:20 appointment.  His 7:15 appointment cancelled so he was able to take me immediately.  Last week he noticed a red spot under my tongue which he believed was just an “abrasion” instead of an infection but he said we would keep an eye on it.  He says it is healing nicely so I won’t have to see a doctor about that.  I had noticed a swelling on the gum area next to one of my teeth and I asked him again what he called that and he said “pulp necrosis”.  Here’s a description I found on the internet: “Pulp necrosis refers to the death of the material inside a tooth, which can lead to intense pain and discomfort for the patient. This can be a potential complication of dental cavities, fractures of the teeth, and trauma, and may be considered as a possible cause if a patient reports a persistent toothache. Diagnostic tools used to identify pulp necrosis can include physical examination, imaging, and probing with dental tools to collect samples and determine the nature of the damage. Treatment is important to prevent further complications and resolve the patient’s pain.

This condition initially starts with pulpitis, inflammation in the dental pulp that can cause painful sensations and irritation. As it persists and grows deeper, it can start to kill the pulp cells, and the problem may spread into the jaw. Some patients develop abscesses, or a swollen area filled with pus inside the jaw; this can be very painful. They may notice swelling and tenderness on the involved side of the mouth and have trouble eating because of the pain associated with the pulp necrosis.”
So this is what he worked on today.  I asked him if he was going to give me an anesthetic and he told me, if his diagnosis is correct and it is “dead” than I shouldn’t feel anything.  He was correct.  It was a little noisy but I didn’t feel a thing.   

While there I told him one of my favorite jokes: A man walks into a drug store with his 8-year old son.  They happen to walk by the condom display, and the boy asks, "What are those, Dad?"

To which the man matter-of-factly replies, "Those are called condoms, son. Men use them to have safe sex."

"Oh I see," replied the boy pensively.  "Yes, I heard about that in health class at school."  He looks over the display and picks up a package of 3 and asks, "Why are there 3 in this package?"

The dad replies, "Those are for high school boys; one for Friday, one for Saturday and one for Sunday."

"Cool" says the boy. He notices a 6-pack and asks, "Then who are these for?"

"Those are for college men," the dad answers, TWO for Friday, TWO for Saturday and TWO for Sunday."

"WOW!" exclaimed the boy, "then who uses THESE?" he asks, picking up a 12-pack.

With a sigh and a tear in his eye, the dad replied, "Those are for married men.  One for January, one for February, one for March......."

Doctor Franco has a very interesting laugh.  He closes his eyes, puts his head back a little, and goes through all the motions of a hearty laugh but doesn’t make a sound.   Very interesting!

I gave him 200mil toward the work he has done thus far and I have another appointment for next Monday at 11:20am.  

On my way to Monterrey C.C. a woman stopped me on the sidewalk and rattled off something in Spanish.  I guess she wanted some directions but I just gave her my mantra “I’m sorry, but I only speak a little Spanish.”.  I’ve figured out an easier way to get to Monterrey C.C. without getting lost.  Basically I just completely retrace my steps from the bus stop and then walk across the busy street to the mall.
At Monterrey I again started with the first store and showed them my note asking if they had the magicJack Plus.  He said “no”.  At the second store the man took me out of the store and pointed to another store on the second level.  I went there and the man told me “no” but took me a few stores down and there they had it.  This was at PluxPC, local 349, and it cost 200mil ($105.26).  The price in the US is $49.95 + $8.95 s+h for a total of $58.90.  It would probably cost me at least the difference to ship it here (inc. possible customs charge) not to mention the length of time I would have to wait for it.  Also nice is the package is all in English so I’m sure the instructions inside are in English too.  I didn’t have any cash on me and the guy at the store said there wasn’t any ATM in the mall so I told him I would be back Monday to purchase it.  I didn’t believe him so I started asking the security guards and though several of them sent me to different places within a few minutes I found a Davivienda that allowed me to take out exactly the 200mil I needed.

By 10:20 I was across the street picking up the Circular 303 bus.  In 33 minutes, with no tree trimming on the street today to delay us, I was back at the Laureles Exito.  I had my receipt with me so I picked up my bedding and towels from the laundry for 15mil ($7.89).  Then I went across the street and had the Hamburger Combo #3 at Gordog’s for 10,500 pesos ($5.53).

On the way back I stopped at the corner store and added 2mil to Jhon’s cell phone minutes and 2 mil to Beatriz’s cell phone minutes.  This is so Jhon to call Beatriz and find out what happened last night.

Luckily, Jhon was at his office and we chatted for about an hour.  He called Beatriz and found out that she got to Jhon’s office at 7pm, 10 minutes after I left.  She didn’t feel right about coming to my apartment building because she didn’t know my apartment was the only one on the 2nd floor so she just went home.  We arranged for her to come to my apartment at 7pm and I’ll wait on the balcony for her.  She’s going to give me a complimentary manicure and pedicure – my first.

Jhon told me a story where his sister, on her way back from the airport (probably the local airport), was “taken for a ride” by the taxi driver who allowed 2 men to get in the car with her and they forced her to withdraw everything from her ATM account.  He meant to caution me not use younger taxi drivers but I’m thinking I should transfer the bulk of my money at the beginning of the month from my USAA account to my Citibank account.  In the event I was forced to withdraw “everything” from my USAA account I would still have the bulk of my money in my other account.

While we were chatting, the pretty black girl from the Likkes restaurant made a delivery next door.  Jhon talked to her and found out her name is Laura.  He didn’t recognizer her at all so I guess she wasn’t working that day when we were both there.
When I got back to my apartment I noticed it’s not so hot inside.  Is it possible in the afternoon it’s cooler with the windows closed?  I’m going to give it a try.

I got some good news from Reina today.  I have been granted health insurance - now all I have to do is make my July monthly payment of 102mil ($56.67).  (BTW, the Colombian peso is today at 1920.50 to the dollar.  I think it’s time to start using 1900 pesos to the USD for my conversions instead of only 1800.  So, my monthly insurance payment of 102mi is really costing me $53.68.)  I asked Reina if there is a BanColombia nearby and she reminded me we saw one upstairs in the back of the Laureles Exito.

I got another email from Reina that I need to deposit the 102mil into the BanColombia account before it closes at 5pm.  I’d better not wait because if I need some help I’ll need to get back to Jhon’s office for assistance.

I stopped at Jhon’s office and showed him Natalia’s business card and asked him if I gave this card to the teller at BanColombia would they understand that I want to deposit money into this account.  He said the card is not from a person at the insurance company.  I told him I understood this, that she is an intermediary who should be depositing the money in the insurance company’s account in my name.  I had him call Reina and she confirmed what I said.  

I dropped off a few short sleeved shirts at the laundry that should be ready at 10am on Saturday for 6mil ($3.16) then took enough money out of the ATM to cover my insurance.  

I went upstairs to the BanColombia office upstairs in Exito and waited in line at the “information desk” for at least 15 minutes.  When it was finally my turn he filled out a deposit form for me and pointed for me to go around the corner.  Before I did that I asked him if I would need to stop to see him first next month and he said “no”.  There, behind a partition, was the real line.  It took maybe another 20 minutes to get to a teller and make the deposit.  I picked up an extra deposit form that I can fill out for next month and I’ll also get there early when hopefully, there will be no line.  I should have written down their hours.  Aarrgghh!

Dinner was the sub of the day from Subway for 7mil and a strawberry milkshake from Frisby for 7500.

This has been a very expensive day.  I think I’d better be careful for a while until I know my monthly expenses are covered.

I bought a kilo of strawberries from the guy on the crossover and took them home to clean as a treat for Beatriz tonight.

While I was sitting on the balcony waiting for Beatriz to arrive I’m pretty sure I saw a bat flying low in a circle on the edges of the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment