Monday, May 4, 2020

Saturday, May 2, 2020




Self-isolation Day 46.


Last night I went to bed at 10:30, I got up once during the night, again at 6am, fell back asleep by 7am and woke/got up at 8am.


Teresa left at 8:30 for the finca.  It’s her day to leave the apt but I don’t know if she’s allowed to travel like that.  I hope she doesn’t get caught.  She asked if she should take a taxi instead of a bus.  I told her we probably won’t be taking public transportation (bus or metro) again for the remainder of the year.


More than 16,000 residents and staff in US nursing homes and long-term facilities have died, roughly a quarter of the nation’s overall deaths.



The U.S. government was slow to understand how much coronavirus was spreading from Europe, which helped drive the acceleration of outbreaks across the nation, a top health official said Friday.  Limited testing and delayed travel alerts for areas outside China contributed to the jump in U.S. cases starting in late February, said Dr. Anne Schuchat, the No. 2 official at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  “We clearly didn’t recognize the full importations that were happening,” Schuchat told The Associated Press.



A White House press secretary held a briefing for the first time in more than 13 months.



North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, reappeared in dramatic fashion this weekend when he was shown on North Korean media after three weeks of unexplained absence, cutting the ribbon on a fertilizer factory.



Trump, Vice President Pence and their aides are tested for the coronavirus regularly, and all who enter the White House campus to meet with them are required to undergo on-site rapid tests developed by Abbott Laboratories, which provide results within 15 minutes.  That’s fine for them, but the rest of the US isn’t in any hurry to return to work until more testing has been accomplished.



I left the apt at 10am, and walked through La Buena Mesa.  It appeared that every restaurant was closed for indoor seating but might be open for deliveries.  At Aymara I wanted to cross the street but a motorcycle with 2 policement pulled up across the street.  I hesitated for a minute and they quickly left.  I went to Alpha the health store but it was closed.  I walked downtown and found the other health store open so I bought a couple things.  A couple more blocks to Todo Drogas and I picked up my medications for the month.  I took a taxi to Viva Envigado.


The guard at the entrance to the mall took my temperature by pointing a little device at my temple and then allowed me to proceed.  I found the bank closed with a sign on the window.  Now they are only open Mon-Fri from 8am to noon.


I waited in line 20 minutes to enter Exito.  My temperature was taken again before I was allowed to enter.  I priced refrigerators and air fryers to share with Teresa.  I bought a number of things then took a taxi back to the apt.


I watched Chapter 7 – It’s not the value of the pieces but their number that counts of IM Mat Kolosowski’s Attacking Masterclass video training.


The Washington Post had a good article on Congress’ boom-and-bust federal spending.  “In America we deal with the problem when it comes up.  We’re very shortsighted.”


At 1:30 I called Go Wings and spoke with the waitress that speaks a little English.  Between her poor English and my poor Spanish I managed to place a delivery order of chicken wings/fries and a Coke.  It arrived about 35 minutes later and I tipped the deliveryman well.


Teresa called me at 5pm and said she’s waiting for a bus.  I told her for her health take a taxi as long as she has the money to pay for it.  She returned 30 minute later.


Per the NY Times, the US has 1,127,495 cases with 65,897 deaths.


Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 7,285 cases with 324 deaths.  Medellin has 310 cases, 1 more than yesterday.  That sounds pretty good.  Hopefully, it will stay low like that for awhile.



Joke of the day

A young couple, just married, were in their honeymoon suite on their wedding night.

As they were undressing for bed, the husband -- who was a big burly man -- tossed his pants to his bride and said, "Here, put these on."

She put them on and the waist was twice the size of her body. "I can't wear your pants," she said.

"That's right, said the husband, "and don't you ever forget it. I'm the man who wears the pants in this family."

With that, she flipped him her panties and said, "Try these on."

He tried them on and found he could only get them on as far as his kneecaps.

"Hell," he said. "I can't get into your panties!"

She replied, "That's right, and that's the way it's going to stay until your attitude changes."

No comments:

Post a Comment