Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday, July 8th, 2013

I went to bed at 10:45, slept through the night and got up at 6:15.  Yeah!  I sure feel great when that happens; especially my eyes (ojos in Spanish)!

I got a bag of milk from the store (corner snack shop) for my cereal.  About 8:30 I got an email from my dentist that he would be very happy if I could come at 10am instead of 11:20.  I replied that I should be there by then or a little after.  I grabbed my stuff and caught the bus about 8:45.  On the way I saw an advertisement on Calle 44 for a hamburger and coke for 4mil ($2.11).  Later when I mentioned this to Chris at FFSS he commented that it probably also includes a hospital stay.  Lol.  I was at Monterrey C.C. by 9:30 and I knocked at the dentist’s office exactly at 10am.

I told him the joke that I told Jhon the other day; I think he really liked it.  He was with me for a little over an hour as he completed a root canal with no anesthetic necessary.  He charged me 260mil ($ 136.84).  I also need 2 cracked crowns replaced and some work on my shrunken gums.  I told him that better wait until next month when I will have some more money.  (I certainly don’t want to have more dental work done this month and find I don’t have any money left for food.)   We set the next appointment for Tuesday August 6th at 10am.  He asked me how I got to his office and he told me I don’t have to walk all the way back to Monterrey C.C. to catch the bus – I can just walk a few blocks down (west) from his office and catch the Circular 303 bus on Las Vegas avenue (Carrera 48).  That makes sense.  I thanked him for that information but today I’m going in the opposite direction. 
On my way to the Flip Flop Sandwich Shop (FFSS) there was a man sitting on the curb “caning” a chair.

“In the context of furniture, caning is a method of weaving chair seats and other furniture either while building new chairs or in the process of cane chair repair. The material used in caning chairs is derived from the peeled bark or skin of the rattan vine native to Indonesia, the Philippines and Malaysia. Some vines reach 600 feet in length. Rattan vine looks somewhat similar to bamboo but is quite different in that bamboo is hollow and holds itself upright while rattan is a solid flexible vine that needs the support of surrounding structure to elevate itself off the forest floor. It climbs to the top of canopies of the forest to reach sunlight with the help of large rugged thorns that grab hold of surrounding trees. Sometimes much of the length of these rugged vines are draped along the forest floor from tree to tree in search of a suitable structure to climb.”

It reminded me a lot of the chairs I had for my chess table back in the States. 

 

I need, for my chess table, 2 straight backed chairs with fairly comfortable seating.  What he had looked almost perfect for my purposes.  I asked him how much it cost for an entire chair and he said 50mil.  So, for 100mil ($52.63) I can have 2 custom made chairs for my chess table.  He gave me his business card with his name - Alvaro Alvarez - and his cell number and home phone.

At the FFSS I met a woman (her husband spent most of the time talking to a man at another table) who is from Elmhurst.  They are traveling through South and Central America.  They said the best was scuba diving in the Galapagos Islands.  They recommended a restaurant named Ajiaco Mondongo’s in El Poblado. 
“Ajiaco is a Colombian potato soup with distinct regional recipes.  Ajiaco santafereño is named after Santa Fé de Bogotá (the former name of Bogotá) capital of Colombia, where it is a cultural mainstay. It typically contains pieces of chicken, large chunks of corn on the cob, two or three kinds of native potatoes (tiny papas criollas that fall apart and thicken the soup, and give the soup its characteristic dark yellow color; the waxy sabanera and/or the soft pastusa), and guasca (Galinsoga parviflora), a weedy, aromatic herb common in all America that lends the dish part of its distinctive flavour.

The soup is typically served with table cream, capers and avocado all mixed in just before eating in the proportions each individual prefers. Ajiaco is so heavy that it is usually considered a full meal. In Colombian cuisine, this is the most representative dish of Bogotá.”

I understand the Antioquian Ajiaco is made from tripe – animal stomach.  I’m not sure that’s something that will appeal to me but I would probably be willing to try it once and this sounds like the place to do it.  This restaurant only makes 3 items and they explained it’s about 1 block west and a few blocks south.
This afternoon I installed the magicJack software and hooked up the hardware.  My laptop has 4 USB ports which sounds like a lot but 3 of them are currently in use: my wireless mouse, my headset, and the fan under my laptop.  That leaves only 1 available slot and the magicJack is so wide it takes up more space than one.  Luckily they include a USB extender so it fits in my last available slot.  In the other end of the magicJack you plug in the phone cord.  When I set up the software I chose the area code and the next 3 digits (I forget the terminology) so I chose a Chicago area code of 312.   I called my brother on his cell phone and we both got a good connection except I still heard an echo in the apartment through my headphones.
I stopped at the Internet Café and printed out my file of jokes – 40 pages which cost me 300 pesos a page for a total of 12mil ($6.32).  I told the girl there, who speaks English, my joke about the 6 year old boy.  She loved it.  Another lady came in who is a dental assistant and we had fun kidding each other.  In the end I allowed the lady who works there to copy my jokes.
I made plans with Jhon to go to Philly Steaks for dinner tomorrow night.

I had Cazuela Bolonesa (chili with chopped beef) for dinner at El Comedor de Chava in Laureles Mall.
I just saw what I think was a mosquito fly between me and the laptop.  A few minutes later I picked up an Exito circular and there was this large mosquito on the corner.  I’m glad I got him before he got me.

I watched The Bachelorette followed by Under the Dome assuming its yesterday’s rerun

No comments:

Post a Comment