Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sunday, July 21st, 2013



I went to bed at 11:30, woke up at 5:30 and got up at 6:40.  If it seems like I often get up around 6:30 it’s because that’s when the sun is always up full force.  

Spanish, the language, seems to me to be very sexist.  For example, to say “nice to meet you” to a woman is “encantado de conocerte” but to say it to a man it is “encantado de conocerlo”.  I was trying to learn both phrases for when I met Beatriz’ daughter and boyfriend last night but Beatriz told me just to say “mucho gusto” – “pleasure” or maybe “my pleasure”.  It seems most things are considered to be either female and end in an “a” or male and end in an “o”.  The question is which is it, male or female?  Tired?  It’s cansado for a man and cansada for a woman.

I had breakfast at the hotel from about 8:30 to 9:15.  The pretty lady wasn’t there today.  After that I went to Laureles mall and finished another chapter in my chess book.  There are only a couple of chapters left.

While I was there I met an elderly businessman named Harry who spoke to me in English.  He is Colombian but has lived in Germany and for many years in Guatemala.  He has property in both countries and would like to move to Medellin permanently but can’t sell either property.

About noon I had to order a Pepsi to counteract the increasing heat.  I left just before 1pm as Beatriz was going to come over at 2pm.  When I got home I found that the “bonging” had resumed – still not loud, still about every 5 seconds.  Beatriz called me on my cell phone back at the apartment as I was sitting on the toilet.  (Seems I get most of my calls there.  Lol.)  She isn’t going to be able to come over until 4pm.  Now I’m torn as to whether to clean the apartment myself so as to be able to spend more time with her or to wait for her to do it.  Lazy me, I’ll probably wait.

I just saw my first lizard in a while; this was a small one; only a little over an inch long.  I caught him, without him losing his tail, and tossed him over the balcony into the tree next door.

At 3pm I started to watch the USA vs El Salvador Gold Cup (soccer) match.  The US won 5-1.  I understand they are playing very competitively with their new coach from Germany.  They might be a force to be reckoned with in the upcoming World Cup.
5pm came and still no Beatriz.  I walked over to the store and bought a bag of milk.  

On the way there from a distance I saw the pretty lady who walks the dogs.  First time I’ve seen her not in shorts – in jeans this time.  Back at the apartment I was just taking a waffle out of the waffle maker when Beatriz arrived.  She was late because she had a client she was giving a manicure to.    She brought over leftover pineapple for me from yesterday.  We shared the one big waffle – I think she liked it – she ate her half.  

She did a little repair work on my nails.  She had to leave then but she plans on coming over again tomorrow to do a little cleaning of the apartment and she said she will finish it next Saturday or Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment