Saturday, September 19, 2020

Friday, September 18, 2020

 


Last night I went to bed at 10:30, got up once during the night, again at 6:15, catnapped until finally getting up at 7:15.

Last night I played 4 games on Chess.com, winning 1 of 4. Most discouraging was that my finger slipped early in the 4th game and I gave away my queen. My rating is now 1435. Now I have to work to get it up to 1450 again.

I started a test sending myself $100 using World Remit but Av Villas and Grupo Aval aren’t in their list. So, either I visit 2 banks – Bancolombia to retrieve cash and Av Villas to make my rental payment – or I use the ATM to withdraw cash, AV Villas to make my rental payment and a Consignacion machine to pay Juan Castro.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show then left for my 1-hour power walk.

 

If not enough Americans get a Covid-19 vaccine when it becomes available, it won't help reduce the spread of the deadly virus, the nation's top infectious disease official said.


In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Dr. Anthony Fauci addressed the risks of too few people taking the vaccine.

Even a third of Americans getting vaccinated against the coronavirus won't be enough, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said.

"It's a combination of how effective a vaccine is and how many people use it," Fauci said. "If you have a vaccine that is highly effective and not enough people get vaccinated, you're not going to realize the full, important effect of having a vaccine."

The less protective a vaccine is, the more people need to get it to provide population-wide immunity, Fauci said. The fundamental goal is to get the level of infection so low that when there are little outbreaks, they're easy to control, he said.

A recent poll from the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 54% of respondents said they would not get the vaccine if it was available for free before the November 3 presidential election -- a time frame suggested by President Trump but one health officials say is unlikely.

The hesitancy of many people to get a Covid-19 vaccine when it becomes available is an issue that needs to be urgently addressed, said Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health.

"Those who are vaccine hesitant have had their hesitancy enhanced by a variety of things that are happening right now, particularly the unfortunate mix of science and politics," Collins said at an event hosted by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine. "I don't want to have us, a year from now, having a conversation about how we have in our hands the solution to the worst pandemic of more than 100 years, but we haven't been able to actually convince people to take charge of it," Collins said.

Fauci said he still thinks it will be the final months of the year before a vaccine is proven to be safe and effective. ''I would still put my money on November/December," Fauci said during a Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute panel on global pandemics.

 

After nearly half a decade of repeated allegations, another woman has publicly accused President Donald Trump of sexual assault.

Amy Dorris, a former model, said Trump forced his tongue down her throat and groped her against her will at the U.S. Open tennis tournament in 1997, when she was 24 years old, according to a report in The Guardian published Thursday. Dorris said he ignored her demands to stop. 

 

Uh-oh. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg died today at the age of 87. That’s going to lead to a constitutional crisis. Mitch McConnel didn’t allow O’Bama to appoint a supreme court justice because Mitch said it was in the last year of Barack’s presidency and they should let the voters decide. Now he will want Trump to appoint a judge even though it’s less than 2 months before the presidential election.

Teresa beat me in parcheesi today 6 games to 2.

A blog reader sent me an interesting article about chess and AI. Thank you!

About 7:15 Teresa suggested we go for patacones. First I had her call to make sure the lady was making them tonight. Teresa placed an order and I understood they would be ready in 20 minutes. She wanted to wait a bit but I figured walking to the guardhouse, waiting for a taxi and the ride there ought to take at least 20 minutes. As we walked out of the parking garage we felt raindrops. (My Accuweather app was predicting rain at 9pm.) I told her to go order the taxi and I returned to the apt for the large umbrella. At the 20 minute mark we were on our way and the drops had turned into a light rain. Teresa asked the driver to wait and we picked up our order, I paid 22mil and we returned to the apt. Even though they were no longer hot she thought they tasted best of all tonight.

I finished reading Barbara Delinsky’s paperback Escape.

 

The US has 6,643,409 ð 6,696,260 ð 6,736,256 coronavirus cases with 196,400+ ð 197,400+ ð 198,200+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 736,377 ð 743,945 ð 750,471 cases with 23,850 deaths.  Medellin has 58,224 ð 58,849 ð 59,934 cases, an increase of 540 from September 17th to 18th. Envigado has a total of 3,244 cases, an increase of 56 from September 17th to 18th.

 

Joke of the day

The new cinematic emporium,

Was not just a super-sensorium,

  But a highly effectual,

  Heterosexual,

Mutual masturbatorium.

No comments:

Post a Comment