Monday, September 21, 2020

Sunday, September 20, 2020

 


Last night I went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep quickly, got up 2-3 times during the night, finally waking/getting up at 7am.

Last night I played 4 games on Chess.com, winning 3 of 4. My rating is now 1474. Once again I’m on my way to 1500. I got lucky twice where I was losing but my opponents blundered late in the game.

I left the apt just before 8am and met Glenn at Papa John’s at 8:10 as agreed. We walked down Calle 25A sur to Avenida Las Vegas where we were soon on a Sabaneta bus. We got off at Calle 19A and walked a block to Ganso & Castor. James arrived 10 minutes later. Today I had Greek yogurt with fruit and granola plus 2 café con leches for about 35mil.

We left about 11:30, I showed Glenn where he could catch a taxi and James and I walked over to Mercado de Rio. He continued on to Industriales station for the metro back to Sabaneta. A woman who worked at Mercad de Rio informed me that they don’t open until noon. I walked around to the side to check on a café I used to frequent and I could easily see the area was gutted so obviously they didn’t survive.

I took a taxi to Parque Lleras arriving 5 minutes before kickoff. Patrick set one of the TVs to the Bears game. He told me he no longer uses Slingbox or Direct TV. I saw for a second the name of his service – Hot “something”.

An English-speaking waitress showed me how to scan the QR code for their menu using my Samsung Android cellphone. Its so easy once you know how.

There was a young man there with a golden retriever. I asked him about dog breeders and he recommended I check Olx.com which is like Craigslist. I checked it and found a 50-day old Samoyed, vaccinated, with papers, for 1,600,000 in Laureles. Using 3600 COP/USD that comes to $444.444… Is that supposed to be a sign?

In the first half the Bears jumped out to a 17-0 lead but in the second half the Giants came back to 17-13. With about 4 minutes left in the game we heard a distant “boom” and all the TVs, ceiling fans, and lights went out. I commented that a transformer probably blew. Someone else commented that if that’s what happened the elecricity wouldn’t be coming back on any time soon.

I asked for the check – 33mil for a limonada de coco and a potato soup. I tipped the waitress 10 mil. To add insult to injury it was raining as I stepped outside. It was 2:45 and my Accuweather app predicted rain at 1pm and 3pm but, interestingly, not 2pm. I walked a couple blocks for a taxi. On the way to Viva Envigado I saw on my cellphone that the Bears held on for a 17-13 win. They are now 2-0. Next up will be a big test AT the Atlanta Falcons.

The rain stopped by the time I arrived at the mall. I had a café con leche in Todo Fresa while waiting for my umbrella to dry. At some point a waitress rang a loud bell, like a ship’s bell. I asked my waitress what that meant and she said someone bought a pan de yucca. I went upstairs to the 3rd floor and other than almost everyone wearing a facemask it looked just as it did 6 months ago. Very busy!

In Exito I picked up a few groceries and took a taxi back to the apt. Good choice because not just because of the weight I had to carry but as soon as I returned to the apt at 4:30 it started raining – hard.

Someone today mentioned watching NFL Game Pass on their laptop so I tried it and it works. Yay!

 

In a few hours of extraordinary violence on Oct. 10, 2018, Tyndall Air Force Base in the Florida Panhandle was utterly devastated, with 95 percent of its buildings severely damaged or destroyed. At that time, Tyndall served as the home base for nearly one-third of the Air Force’s fleet of ultra-valuable F-22 Raptor stealth fighters. Seventeen of the irreplaceable aircraft had been crammed into a hanger in advance of the tide of destruction — only for chunks of the hangar’s roof to collapse on top of them.

For several days, it seemed like the Air Force had lost about 10 percent of its deadliest fighter aircraft in one fell swoop, though by good fortune, the Raptors all reportedly proved repairable. The Air Force is still footing a staggering $5 billion bill to rebuild Tyndall and another base and move F-22 operations elsewhere.

The damage sounds like the results of an attack in a war. But Tyndall was struck by the 150 mph winds of Category 4 Hurricane Michael, not enemy bombers. It was an early manifestation of the same extreme weather that’s wreaking havoc now in Hurricane Sally and the California wildfires.

While hurricanes and fires may be inevitable natural phenomena, scientists have repeatedly found persuasive evidence that climate change has greatly increased the severity of extreme weather events. In some cases, it is even possible to draw a direct line between global warming and a given disaster.

 

The conservative Lincoln Project launched Sen. Lindsey Graham’s own words against him in a scathing new “Lindsey Must Go” ad Saturday. It attacks his hypocrisy in his push to quickly confirm a new Supreme Court justice to replace the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

The South Carolina Republican and other GOP senators blocked the confirmation of Merrick Garland, Barack Obama’s nomination for the Supreme Court, in February 2016, Obama’s final year in the White House. Graham swore he would do the same for a Republican president.

If there’s a Supreme Court opening in the “last year of President Trump’s term, and the primary process has started, we’ll wait ’til the next election” to confirm a new justice, Graham swore in a 2018 Atlantic interview featured in the ad.

If he ever contradicted that vow, “I want you to use my words against me,” Graham challenged the media and the public.

The US has 6,736,256 ð 6,788,238 ð 6,808,980 coronavirus cases with 198,200+ ð 199,100+ ð 199,300+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 750,471 ð 758,398 ð 765,076 cases with 24,208 deaths.  Medellin has 59,934 ð 59,627 ð 60,792 cases, an increase of 1,165 from September 18th to 19th. Envigado has a total of 3,292 cases, an increase of 21 from September 19th to 20th.

 

Joke of the day

An hombre from old Medellín,

Tried joining the new swinger scene.

   But tho try as he must,

   Couldn't swing any lust,

And quickly became a has-been!

Thank you to one of my readers for writing the last 2 limericks.

No comments:

Post a Comment