Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

 


Last night I went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep quickly, got up twice during the night, woke up again at 4:45, took a little while to fall back asleep, finally waking/getting up at 6:30.

Last night I played 4 games on Chess.com, winning 2 and losing 2. My rating is still 1482.

Today is the first (full) day of autumn (fall) in the US.

I left the apt just before 8am and walked to the mall. I stopped at Auros where I had some chess notes printed. When I arrived at Habia Una Vez Jose was already there. We sat down but we had to wait a few minutes for the waitress to get things set up. I had the scrambled eggs, croissant with cheese, café con leche, and orange juice for 10mil (less than $3).

About 9am we went up to the food court to play chess. I had the white pieces in the first game and I messed up the opening and I had to defend for my life. In the end I managed to force a repetition for a draw.

For lunch I had Frisby’s picanugys again with a mango juice.

The sky cleared and I was starting to feel a little warm in my jeans and t-shirt. I’ll have to wear a little less next time.

I had the black pieces in the 2nd game and I got an attack going but I couldn’t find a way to break through. He eventually blundered a knight for a pawn and then didn’t follow that up appropriately and soon resigned.

Jose left and I went down to Todo Fresa for a café con leche. I was reading some news on my cellphone when it was obvious the 4 girls working there were laughing about something. The waitress came over to my table and placed a small torn scrap of paper in front of me that said “Hi” in English. Then another that said “how are you”? I said “fine”. She walked back to the counter to the others then returned with another that said “where are you from”? I wrote Chicago, USA and she took it back to the counter. That was the end of that.

When I left I took a taxi back to the apt. I ran into Teresa coming out of the parking garage. She said she was going to Parva to have coffee with her mother and asked me to join them. I went up to the apt, dropped off a few things, changed into shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt and walked to Parva.

We had coffee for at least an hour. Esmeralda joined us and I soon returned to the apt. Teresa didn’t return until after 7pm.

 

The US has 6,808,980 ð 6,852,313 ð 6,917,928 coronavirus cases with 199,300+ ð 199,600+ ð 200,700+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 765,076 ð 770,435 ð 777,537 cases with 24,570 deaths.  Medellin has 60,792 ð 61,117 ð 61,634 cases, an increase of 517 from September 21st to 22nd. Envigado has a total of 3,427 cases, an increase of 34 from 21st to 22nd.

 

Joke of the day

A priest goes on a fishing trip with a few others and some sailors to help them. A few hours in, he suddenly hooks a very big fish. 

Helping him reel it in, a sailor says "Whoa, look at the size of that Bastard!".

"Hey, mind your language!" says the priest.

Embarrassed, the sailor thinks quickly and blurts out, "Sorry father, but that's what this fish is called, it's a Bastard fish".

Accepting the explanation, the priest forgives the sailor and takes the fish back to church.

"Look at this huge Bastard!" says the priest, spotting the bishop.

"Language, please! this is God's house," replies the bishop.

"No, no that's what this fish is called," says the priest.

"Oh," says the bishop, scratching his chin "I could clean that bastard and we could have it for dinner."

So the bishop takes the fish, cleans it, and brings it to the mother superior.

"Could you cook this bastard for dinner tonight?" he asks her.

"My, what language!" she exclaims, clearly shocked.

"No, sister that's what the fish is called - a bastard", says the bishop.

Satisfied with the explanation, the mother superior says, "Wonderful, I'll cook that bastard tonight, The Pope is coming for dinner!"

The fish tastes just great and The Pope asks where they got it.

"Well, I caught the bastard!" says the priest.

"And I cleaned the bastard!" says the bishop.

"And I cooked the bastard!" says the mother superior.

The Pope stares at them for a long moment with a steely gaze, leans back in his chair, takes off his cap, puts his feet up on the table, pours himself a whiskey and says: "You know what? You schmucks are alright."

No comments:

Post a Comment