Monday, September 14, 2020

Sunday, September 13, 2020

 


Last night I went to bed at 10:30, got up twice during the night, woke up at 5:30 and got up at 6. Even though Sunday mornings are usually quiet, from about 5:30 to 6 there was a young man in a car parked outside Exito talking to someone inside Exito.

Last night I played 4 games on Chess.com. In the 1st game my opponent played the English opening (poorly) and I checkmated him in 23 moves. My 2nd game I had the advantage going into the endgame but lost. Obviously, I need to work on my endgame. My 3rd game I had the advantage the whole game and I checkmated him on the 42nd move. In my 4th game I was never in trouble and I checkmated my opponent on the 21st move. My new rating is 1444 but I did have the white pieces in 3 of the 4 games.

Since I was up early I left the apt just at 7:50 and walked to Glenn’s apt arriving by 8:10. I noticed that ciclovia was going on and I had the thought that the Uber might have trouble getting to Glenn’s apt. After awhile Glenn called James and the taxi driver was having trouble. We agreed to meet at the La Frontera mall. The driver didn’t seem to understand where we wanted to go even after showing him the address. I told him Ciudad de Rio and we were on our way.

This Ganso & Castor location is adjacent to the Museum of Modern Art. It had a large seating area and we were the first ones there. They had eggs (Florentine & Benedict) and I had the French toast.

We left about 11am and walked around the nearby park a bit.

They left to return to Envigado and Sabaneta and I took a taxi to Parque Lleras. Patrick and a couple waitresses was setting up tables on the Patrick’s Sports Pub patio. I put in my claim for the Bears game. He mentioned that 22 restaurants in Parque Lleras have closed permanently. I walked around a bit and found the Pergamino we used to frequent after our Sunday breakfast.

I returned just before noon, he assigned me a seat and put on the Bears game. Its finally time for some NFL football! The Bears were losing 23-3 at the end of the 3rd quarter but came back and won 27-23.  I waited until the 4th quarter to have a burger, fries and a Coke for 52mil.

I walked down to Avenida Poblado where I quickly got on a Sabaneta bus.

I was back at the apt by 3:45.

I found 3 free chess lessons on ImproveMyChess.com.

Teresa beat me in parcheesi today 5 games to 2.

 

Michael Osterholm, a renowned infectious-disease expert and the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, said on NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday that leaders must tell the truth when it comes to public health and that "telling the truth never causes panic."

Why it matters: Host Chuck Todd asked Osterholm if President Trump had made a mistake by not being upfront with the American people about the dangers of COVID-19 and the threat of a pandemic. In an interview for Bob Woodward's new book "Rage," Trump said that he was purposefully "playing it down" so as not to create a "panic."

What he's saying: "If you just tell people the truth, they will respond and they will trust you to continue to tell them the truth. The great leaders of the world have done that," Osterholm said.

 

A federal judge late Saturday ordered the U.S. Postal Service to immediately stop sending mailers containing false voting information to Colorado residents, saying he is “deeply troubled” by the decision to distribute the misleading postcards to households across the nation.

“As a result of false information contained in the notice, some Colorado voters may not vote because they erroneously believe that: (1) they must request a ballot at least 15 days before the election; (2) they must mail their ballot at least seven days prior to the election; or (3) they may not vote if they lose their ballot,” wrote U.S. District Court Judge William Martínez in a 10-page ruling (pdf) granting Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold’s request for a temporary restraining order.

 

Mike Bloomberg, the former New York City mayor and onetime Democratic presidential candidate, has committed $100 million of his own money to help the party's nominee, Joe Biden, win the state of Florida.

 

A month after the controversial Sturgis Motorcycle Rally drew hundreds of thousands of bikers to South Dakota, COVID-19 infections are growing faster in North Dakota and South Dakota than anywhere in the nation.

The rally is not the only likely culprit: Many schools in the states recently began in-class learning, and mandates or requests to wear masks have sparked pushback from people who believe that infringes on their freedom.

Though Europe appeared to have the virus under control after a devastating spring, countries there are again struggling. France reported a one-day record of 10,561 new cases Saturday, rising by more than 1,000 from Friday. The U.K, which has suffered Europe’s deadliest coronavirus outbreak, recorded more than 3,000 new cases of COVID-19 for the third day running for the first time since May. Austria says it is seeing a “second wave” of infections.

 

The US has 6,462,503 ð 6,502,467 ð 6,521,289 coronavirus cases with 192,700+ ð 193,500+ ð 193,700+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 702,088 ð 708,964 ð 716,319 cases with 22,924 deaths.  Medellin has 54,245 ð 54,653 ð 55,405 cases, an increase of 743 from September 12th to 13th. Envigado has a total of 3,017 cases, an increase of 70 from September 12th to 13th.

 

Joke of the day

There once was a lady named Ferris

Whom nothing could every embarrass

Till the bath salts one day,

In the tub where she lay,

Turned out to be plaster of paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment