Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Monday, August 31, 2020

 


Quarantine Day #166.

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, took a little while to fall asleep, got up twice during the night, woke up at 5:45am and got up at 6:45.

Last night I played 4 games on Chess.com, winning 3 and losing 1. I had the white pieces in the 1st game and it was a really back and forth game that I played poorly and eventually lost. In the 2nd game I had the black pieces and he played an unorthodox opening that I managed to transpose into the Classical Dutch. I eventually checkmated him on the 43rd move. In the 3rd game I had the black pieces and played the Sicilian Defense. He blundered his queen and I checkmated him on the the 43rd move. In the 4th game I had the white pieces, played the London System, got a strong attack and he resigned on the 28th move. My new rating is 1240.

Teresa left at 9am for the beauty salon and after that she has a 1:10 appointment with my opthamologist in Poblado. (She has felt some itching in her left eye.)

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show then left the apt. I stopped by Eduardo Madrid bakery and they are open but not for table service. The same at Parva; maybe tomorrow they will have it. I walked downtown to the bookstore and this time the tape was down so I went in and exchanged paperbacks for 2mil. I walked to Todo Drogas where I picked up my monthly medicine and supplements for $34. I stopped at the nature store and bought a bottle of L-Arginina.

I walked to Viva Envigado where I took an elevator up to the 3rd floor. A few of the fast food restaurants were open – perhaps the others will be open a little later. They had tables and chairs out but fewer tables than usual and each had only 2 chairs with a cardboard cutout of a person sitting in one of the chairs. If they don’t want anyone to sit there then why not just remove the other chair? I had a 15-minute wait to enter Bancolombia where I paid some of my monthly bills. I went down to Todo Fresa and, like old times, I had a café con leche at one of the back tables. This time the middle table is closed off and I waited until my coffee arrived to remove my N95 facemask. (Every place I entered I had to take hand sanitizer and wipe my feet on one of those special mats and they took my temperature (36.3ºC=97.3ºF) entering the mall and Exito.) I returned to the apt by 12:30.

I left again about 1:30 and walked to the new restaurant – Brooklyn Saloon & Restaurant – something like that but it was closed. I knew Na Pizza was closed Mondays. I walked to Go Wings and found a sign that they are only open for deliveries. I walked to Aymara and sat down on a bench and ordered 6 BBQ wings, fries, Cole Slaw & Coke using my Rappi app. I returned to the apt and Teresa was already back.

I wore my step counter today and I did 12,273 steps. My calves feel very tight so I think I should pare back my workouts a little.

 

Donald Trump already has access to some of the nation's preeminent voices on epidemiology, who are eager to provide the president with expert advice shaped by the latest and most accurate evidence.

But it was two weeks ago today when we learned Trump had something else in mind: Dr. Scott Atlas, a Fox News regular and a leading voice at a conservative think tank, had joined the White House team. There was no great mystery behind the decision: Atlas has pushed to re-open schools, downplayed the need for broader coronavirus testing, and criticized lockdowns intended to stop the pandemic's spread.

The neuroradiologist has "no expertise in public health or infectious disease mitigation," he hasn't practiced medicine in nearly a decade, and he's demonstrated a habit of echoing unscientific claims, but Atlas nevertheless had something more important: the capacity to tell the president what he wants to hear.

And now that Atlas is on Team Trump, what's he saying? The Washington Post reported today:

One of President Trump's top medical advisers is urging the White House to embrace a controversial "herd immunity" strategy to combat the pandemic, which would entail allowing the coronavirus to spread through most of the population to quickly build resistance to the virus, while taking steps to protect those in nursing homes and other vulnerable populations, according to five people familiar with the discussions. The administration has already begun to implement some policies along these lines, according to current and former officials as well as experts, particularly with regard to testing.

 

As the White House repeatedly downplayed the state of the pandemic throughout the summer and pushed for states to rapidly reopen, its own coronavirus task force was quietly sending reports to states that directly contradicted the public remarks offered by President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, showed documents that were unveiled Monday by a congressional panel.

The House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis released eight reports, ranging from June 23 to August 9, from the White House Coronavirus Task Force that were provided to states.

The reports, which were not previously available to the public but some of which were previously published by Public Integrity, show that while Trump and Pence publicly urged reopenings and tried to quell fears by saying the resurgence of the virus was "overblown" and that it is "going to disappear," top health officials within the administration warned "red zone" states about increased spread and advised specific mitigation efforts that often went ignored.

 

An answer about coronavirus vaccine safety and efficacy might be available as soon as November, Dr. Anthony Fauci said in a new interview. He made it clear that vaccines should not be approved for emergency use until they’re proven to be safe and effective. The comments follow several recent updates in the world of COVID-19 vaccine candidates. Russia approved a drug for public use without revealing any scientific data, and China has started using three vaccines under emergency programs. Separately, rumors said President Trump may pressure the FDA into giving emergency approval to at least one COVID-19 vaccine before the election.

 

Herman Cain continues to speak from beyond the grave through his Twitter account, with a now-deleted tweet claiming that coronavirus is “not as deadly” as “mainstream media” made it out to be, despite Cain dying from COVID-19 weeks after attending a rally for President Trump—and raising questions about Twitter policies for deceased account holders.

 

By Steve Benen at MSNBC: Elements of Donald Trump's political posture on health care have changed in ways that were difficult to predict as recently as a few years ago. In fact, the president didn't use the word "Obamacare" at any point in his interminably long Republican convention speech last week -- and neither did any GOP elected official during the entire four-day affair.

As dramatic a departure as this is, there's an obvious explanation for the rhetorical shift: despite a hysterical crusade that's lasted much of the decade, the Affordable Care Act is both effective and increasingly supported by public. Late last week, the Kaiser Family Foundation published a report on the latest polling and concluded, "Opposition to Obamacare Becomes Political Liability for GOP Incumbents."

But to see this and assume that the president and Republican Party have quietly moved on from the issue would be wildly overstating matters. Trump and the GOP are, of course, still trying to destroy the Affordable Care Act in its entirety at the U.S. Supreme Court, with a case that will be heard the week after Election Day.

And then there's the president himself, who's facing an awkward deadline of his own making today.

Circling back to our earlier coverage, it was on July 17 when Trump sat down with Fox News' Chris Wallace, and the host asked about the president's ongoing efforts to tear down the ACA. The president replied that he still intends to "replace" the landmark health care law.

The host reminded Trump, "But you've been in office three and a half years, you don't have a plan." It was at this point that the president responded with an unexpected vow: Trump said he'd "sign" a "full and complete" health care plan "within two weeks."

As we've discussed, two weeks went by, and the "full and complete" health care plan was nowhere to be found. On July 31, pressed for some kind of explanation, the president told reporters, "We're going to be doing a very inclusive health care plan. I'll be signing it sometime very soon. It might be Sunday [Aug. 2], but it's going to be very soon." (He added earlier in the day that the upcoming White House health care plan will be "very big.")

Two days later, the Republican went golfing. He did not unveil or sign a health care plan. On Aug. 3, Trump presented a new timeline.

"I do want to say that we're going to be introducing a tremendous healthcare plan sometime prior -- hopefully, prior to the end of the month. It's just about completed now."

The president added that the new health care plan "will be very impressive to a lot of people."

predicted at the time that Trump would neither unveil nor sign an "impressive" health care plan by the end of the month -- and the end of the month is today.

To be sure, there are still 14 hours left before the end of the month, and perhaps the president will surprise me, but I have a hunch my prediction will hold up.

Trump has spent more than four years assuring Americans that he and his team, any day now, will unveil an amazing health care plan that will offer more coverage at a lower cost. It's a promise that always goes unmet.

There's no great mystery as to why: the president, his team, and his party have absolutely no idea how to govern in the area of health care policy. (See chapter three of my book.) GOP officials have been promising a superior alternative to the Affordable Care Act since the summer of 2009 -- well over a decade ago -- and they've failed spectacularly because they don't know how to craft such a blueprint. It would require some form of federal investments and regulation of the marketplace, both of which the party rejects for ideological reasons.

Hating "Obamacare" is not a health care plan. Once Republican policymakers come to grips with this simple detail, they can either give up trying to take health security from tens of millions of Americans or they can roll up their sleeves and try to govern on the issue.

Either way, those waiting to see what Trump unveils are waiting for a mirage that will always remain on the horizon.

 

 

 

The US has 5,973,992 ð 6,006,177 ð 6,041,885 coronavirus cases with 182,700+ ð 182,900+ ð 183,400 deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 599,914 ð 607,938 ð 615,168 cases with 19,663 deaths.  Medellin has 45,794 ð 46,361 ð 47,284 cases, an increase of 923 from August 29th to 30th. Envigado has a total of 2,436 cases, an increase of 23 from August 30th to 31st.

 

Joke of the day

A woman came home early from work one day and found her husband in bed with a young and attractive woman.

The woman yelled at her husband in anger: “You slimy disrespectful pig! How dare you do this to me!? I’m the mother of your children, and I’ve been faithful to you all these years! I want a divorce now!”

The husband answered: “Wait a second my love, let me at least explain what happened.”

“All right, let’s hear what you have to say for yourself,” answered the wife waiting to see just how her husband would try to talk his way out of this one, “but these are your last words.”

Her husband started recalling: “today when I left work and got in my car to head home and this woman asked me for a ride.”

“I noticed that she was very skinny and wearing worn out clothes covered in muck and mud. She told me she hadn’t eaten in three days.”

“She looked worse for wear so I took pity on her and let her into the car.”

“In my mercy for her, instead of taking her straight to where she needed to go, I brought her home first and warmed her up a plate of goulash,the same plate I made for you last night which you didn’t eat claiming you’d ‘get fat’.”

“She devoured it in seconds.”

“Since she needed to get clean, I offered to let her use our shower.”

“While she showered, I noticed that her clothes were very dirty and worn, so I threw them out. She needed new clothes so I brought her the old jeans you no longer wear because they’re ‘too tight’.”

“I also gave her some underwear I bought you that you didn’t wear because ‘I don’t have good taste in clothes’.”

“I found the shirt my mom bought you for Christmas that you didn’t wear to ‘piss her off’. And I gave her the high heels you only wore once because ‘someone at work had the same pair’.”

The husband took a deep breath and continued…

“She was so grateful for my understanding and help. When I walked her to the door she turned around with tears in her eyes and asked…”

“You’re such a great person! Is there anything else your wife doesn’t use?”

No comments:

Post a Comment