Monday, September 15, 2014

Sunday, September 14th, 2014



We started watching Street Dance but neither of us cared for it so we switched to Taken even though both of us had already seen it.  She made popcorn which we enjoyed during the movie.

Again, it rained off and on throughout the day; more on then off.  I wanted to leave at 4pm so I could drop off my things at the apartment first but we didn’t get down to the road until 4:45.  I stapled a reflective sign (a left arrow) to a post at the bottom of the hill near the road so it can be seen easier at night especially in bad weather.

We watched bus after bus pass by without stopping; it even looked like all the seats were full.  Once again Teresa blamed it on the fact that it was Sunday.  I started holding up a single finger trying to let them know that we only needed one seat – for me.  She asked me if I would mind if the bus went through Caldas first.  I said “no” I just wanted to get going.

Finally at 5:25 I got the last seat on a bus.  I forgot to ask her something so I called her from my cell phone and I understood that this one bus should take me to Medellin.  

The bus pulled into a parking lot and everyone got off.  I asked the bus driver if I needed to get off and I understood that he wanted me to go to the back of the bus.  Once I got there he motioned me back to the bus and only then did I realize that he wanted me to go back behind the bus.  But first I had to pay 2mil.  (This is how I get into trouble; when I asked if I needed to get off all I needed to hear was “si” and then I wouldn’t have to worry about anything else he said.)  Normally I would have followed everyone else but by the time I got off I was alone.  I walked to the street and saw a bus on the other side.  I asked if it was going to Medellin and I got on when I received a positive answer.  I called Teresa and told her I’m now on a second bus.  She asked me to ask to be dropped off at Aguacatala.  By the time we got to Mayorca CC in Itagui enough people had gotten off that I was near to the driver.  The next time he stopped to pick people up I took that opportunity to ask if he was going to Aguacatala.  When we got there a nice lady sitting behind me notified me of that fact even though I knew where I was.

It was now 6:30.  If I went to my apartment I would be late for the 7:30 start of the game.  If I went directly to Parque Lleras I would be way early.  I took the metro and it was the next stop.  (I probably could have stayed on the bus and gotten off at this Poblado station.)  Since I was so early I walked up the hill and got to Patrick’s by 6:50.  

I had their Irish Stew with a Coke but it wasn’t as good as I remember.

The Bears looked awful in the first half.  Special teams looked so bad I was praying that when they received the kickoff it would be so deep that we wouldn’t try to run the ball out of the endzone.  The score at halftime was San Francisco 49ers 17, Chicago Bears 7.  

I was trying to decide whether I wanted to cut my losses and head home where I could start working on this blog before going to bed.

I talked to a guy that was from the south side of Chicago.  He has been in Medellin for 6 ½ months.  He is an electrician and he said business was slow and he was waiting for a call to go back to work but he was hoping they wouldn’t wait until the weather got cold.

I finally ended up staying and I’m glad I did.  The Bears came roaring back and ended up winning 28-20.  Wow, that was impressive to beat a good team like SF, on the road, in their new stadium!

At the 2 minute warning I asked for the check at it was about 38mil.  The waitress misinterpreted my waveoff during a critical part of the game and didn’t return my change but at least it wasn’t much more than 2mil.  

When I left I couldn’t find my laminated address so I just told the taxi driver to take me to Laureles Exito and when we got to Avenida Nutibara I just gave him turns to make from there.  It cost me 12mil.

T-shirt of the day: Boys will be boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment