Saturday, August 22, 2020

Friday, August 21, 2020

 


Quarantine Day #157.

Last night I went to bed at 11pm, fell asleep quickly, got up once during the night, finally waking/getting up at 7am.

Last night I played 3 games on Chess.com, winning 1 and losing 2. In my defense I had the black pieces twice. In the first game I had the black pieces and I fell into a trap in the 6th move and I lost a knight for a pawn. I held on and in the endgame he blundered his queen and resigned a couple moves before a forced checkmate. In the 2nd game I had the black pieces and my opponent played an unorthodox opening. I held on for 36 moves and lost on time but he had the advantage anyway. In the 3rd game I had the white pieces and my opponent challenged my black squared bishop and I have yet to find a good response. I later resigned when I dropped my queen.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show then went for my walk. About 35 minutes into my walk it started drizzling. Luckily I was only about 2 ½ blocks away so it was a short walk back to the apt and I immediately jumped in the shower.

 

I left the apt again at 1:15. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt because it was only 76 degrees. I should have worn shorts because of all the walking that was to come. I walked downtown where I purchased 5 money envelopes at the paper store. I went to the bookstore and even though the gate was up it had the crime scene tape blocking the doorway so I’m guessing I wouldn’t have been able to go inside. I walked down to the mall where I recycled a battery then went inside Exito to Auros. I had a young lady print some chess pages for me and she really screwed up my order. (I had 2 files I wanted specific pages printed. She printed all of the pages. I pointed that out to here again and she reprinted a number of pages. In the end she printed 2 copies and I returned one to her.) While waiting Wilson said “hi” after picking up some groceries. It took about 20 minutes to get the minimum pages I wanted printed but at least it cost me less than 5mil. In the mall I made an ATM withdrawal then got into a short line outside Bancolombia. I paid the city tax for the finca and Juan Castro for my chess lessons to date. I picked up 10 items in Exito and took a taxi back to the apt arriving about 3:30.

Esmeralda picked up MT at her apt then us at ours about 6:30 and took us to the corner stand for patacones with avocado and shredded beef.

We were back by 8pm.

Per Medellin Guru, Colombia is starting to reopen movie theaters, gyms, churches, and bars. It is currently limited to pilot programs in 120 municipalities. Bars cannot serve alchohol but can allow food takeout like restaurants. Theaters must have 2 empty seats and an empty row between customers and are not allowed to serve food.

 

Coronavirus cases linked to the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota last week have now reached across state lines to Nebraska, public health officials said.

At least seven Covid-19 cases in Nebraska's Panhandle region have been tied to the rally, Kim Engel, director of the Panhandle Public Health District, confirmed in an email to CNN.

 

Six states and the District of Columbia filed a lawsuit against Postmaster General Louis DeJoy Friday, alleging recent changes to the U.S. Postal Service were "unlawful" and designed to impede efforts to conduct "free and fair elections."

 

"Full House" actress Lori Loughlin, who became the face of the college admissions bribery scandal, was sentenced to two months in prison on Friday.

Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, pleaded guilty earlier this year over their involvement in a scheme to bribe coaches to allow their two children to be admitted into the University of Southern California as fake athletic recruits.

  • Loughlin also must pay a fine of $150,000 and take part in 100 hours of community service.
  • Giannulli was sentenced to five months in federal prison. He will pay a $250,000 fine and serve 250 hours of community service. He will not have to surrender until November.

 

Syracuse University has suspended 23 students following a large on-campus gathering, the latest example of college crackdowns on the kind of socializing that can spread the coronavirus and sink plans for in-person learning this semester.

 

After decades of public service, Joe Biden is a figure Americans have gotten to know pretty well over the course of many years, but imagine an alternate dynamic. Imagine a group of possible voters that doesn't keep up on current events, isn't altogether familiar with high-profile political figures, and will soon take stock of the 2020 presidential hopefuls.

Donald Trump has gone to great lengths to paint a picture for those voters: Biden, the Republican president would have them believe, is addled and doddering. He'd struggle to pass a dementia test. He can't deliver a speech. He has no vision. He's a "sleepy" old man of questionable competence and coherence.

In the process, Trump created certain expectations for Americans: to see the former vice president would be to see a faltering senior citizen who's incapable of impressing hardly anyone.

I haven't the foggiest idea why the president thought this was a wise strategy, but whatever the misguided rationale, it backfired when Biden accepted his party's presidential nomination last night in impressive fashion. Politico's summary rang true:

In a campaign riddled with verbal gaffes and setbacks, where his cognitive abilities were questioned and his debate performances criticized, Joe Biden stepped up to the lectern and delivered the biggest speech of his life without a hitch.... [T]he Democratic nominee appeared at ease as he struck somber notes about the coronavirus pandemic, at once grieving with those who lost loved ones and promising he would take decisive action if elected in November.

 

n 2016, I (Kori Schake) was one of a group of Republican national security experts that published a statement of concern that Donald Trump would be a danger. In another effort, many of us pledged that we would not vote for him. We grieve that his comportment as president has been even more damaging to our country than most of us imagined a Trump presidency could be.

And so, many of us from 2016, and many who did not sign those public statements but are now alarmed by the president’s corruption and malfeasance, are banding together to endorse Joe Biden. All of us are former national security officials who served in senior jobs during the administrations of Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, and/or Donald Trump. We include former directors of the CIA, Republican members of Congress, secretaries of defense and of the military services, and ambassadors.

 

Republican Gov. Phil Scott of Vermont said Friday he will not be voting for President Trump in the 2020 White House race and would consider backing former Vice President Joe Biden.

 

Sen. John McCollister of Omaha said Friday he's joining a number of fellow Republicans in deciding to formally endorse Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden in his bid to unseat Republican President Donald Trump.

Biden would be "a real president," McCollister said, "not the disaster" that occupies the White House today.

"Principled Republicans are jumping ship," the two-term state senator said, and he's disappointed that "Republican officeholders in Nebraska have not spoken up against this president and his dreadful policies."

 

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) says he hopes the coronavirus pandemic will be over in under two years.

Speaking in Geneva, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the Spanish flu of 1918 had taken two years to overcome.

But he added that current advances in technology could enable the world to halt the virus "in a shorter time".

"Of course with more connectiveness, the virus has a better chance of spreading," he said.

"But at the same time, we have also the technology to stop it, and the knowledge to stop it," he noted, stressing the importance of "national unity, global solidarity".

The flu of 1918 killed at least 50 million people.

Coronavirus has so far killed almost 800,000 people and infected nearly 23 million.

Prof Sir Mark Walport, a member of the UK's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) - on Saturday said that Covid-19 was "going to be with us forever in some form or another".

"So, a bit like flu, people will need re-vaccination at regular intervals," he told the BBC.

 

The US has 5,523,886 ð 5,573,797 ð 5,633,493 coronavirus cases with 172,500+ ð 173,700+ ð 175,200+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 502,178 ð 513,719 ð 522,138 cases with 16,568 deaths.  Medellin has 36,956 ð 37,928 ð 38,378 39,058 cases, an increase of 681 from August 20th to 21st. Envigado has a total of 2,110 cases, an increase of 55 from August 20th to 21st.

 

Joke of the day

Now is not the right time to surround yourself with positive people.

No comments:

Post a Comment