Saturday, August 29, 2020

Friday, August 28, 2020

 


Quarantine Day #163.

Last night I went to bed at 10:45, fell asleep quickly, got up twice during the night, finally waking at 6:30 and getting up at 7:30.

Last night I played 4 games on Chess.com, winning 1 and losing 3. In the first game I had black and played the Stonewall Dutch but in the middle game I dropped a pawn and things fell apart after that and I resigned on the 33rd move. In the 2nd game I was up a rook and queen in the endgame but lost on time. In the 3rd game I had black and my opponent played a very unorthodox opening but I soon had the advantage and had a won game but again lost on time. In the 4th game I had white and played the London System and I checkmated him on the 20th move. I think 2 of my games were against Colombians. The games show a flag of the player’s country and they looked like the Colombian flag. My new rating is 1223.

Teresa left at 9:15 for her walk followed by a trip to Exito.

I watched the first 35 minutes of the Today show then left for my walk.

I returned at 10:35 and Teresa 10 minutes later.

In the afternoon I had a 2-hour chess lesson with Juan Carlos.

Teresa beat me in parcheesi 5 games to 4.

 

Earlier this week, The Daily Beast reported that President Trump had one thing on his mind heading into his Republican National Convention. 

The president was telling his closest aides that he was determined to beat his rival Joe Biden in the TV ratings. He was requesting daily ratings for the Democratic National Convention and insisted that his RNC spectacle would demolish their “pathetic” numbers, according to a senior administration official.

In the end, apparently not even all of the unethical pomp and circumstance of a Trump-branded White House as the backdrop of his big speech Thursday night could draw more viewers than Biden’s solemnly rousing speech to an empty auditorium

According to initial Nielsen numbers, President Trump’s speech Thursday night drew 14.1 million viewers across the three broadcast networks and three major cable news networks. That is more than three million fewer viewers than the 17.5 million who tuned in to watch Biden’s speech one week earlier.

When those numbers are expanded out across nine broadcast and cable networks, Biden still beat Trump by a fairly wide margin, 23.6 million to 21.6 million.

 

At one point, Trump garbled his words and said, “Thanks to advances, we have pioneered the fatality rate” — when he wanted to say that pioneering advances have led to an 80 percent drop in the fatality rate since April.

A convention speech watched by tens of millions is not the greatest time to slip up in this way. You don’t want your most memorable moment to be a mistake. 

 

On Thursday night, President Donald Trump accepted the Republican presidential nomination for a second term. Twenty-four hours earlier, he had a very hard time saying exactly what he would do with another four years.

"But so I think, I think it would be, I think it would be very, very, I think we'd have a very, very solid, we would continue what we're doing, we'd solidify what we've done, and we have other things on our plate that we want to get done," Trump told The New York Times' Peter Baker.

Last month, in an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity, Trump offered this up when asked about four more years:

"One of the things that will be really great -- the word experience is still good, I always say talent is more important than experience, I've always said that -- but the word experience is a very important word, a very important meaning.

"I never did this before, never slept over in Washington. I was in Washington maybe 17 times and all of a sudden I'm the President of the United States, you know the story, riding down Pennsylvania Avenue with our first lady and I say this is great but I didn't know very many people in Washington, it wasn't my thing. I was from Manhattan, from New York, and now I know everybody. And I have great people in the administration. You make some mistakes, like an idiot like Bolton, you don't have to drop bombs on everybody."

(Sidebar: That is 138 words of not answering the question.)

 

The US has 5,825,039 ð 5,878,827 ð 5,928,020 coronavirus cases with 179,200 ð 180,600+ ð 181,300+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 572,270 ð 582,022 ð 590,520 cases with 18,767 deaths.  Medellin has 43,250 ð 43,966 ð 45,035 cases, an increase of 1,015 from August 27th to 28th. Envigado has a total of 2,372 cases, an increase of 44 from August 27th to8. So new infections have decreased for Colombia but continue to increase in Medellin and Envigado.

 

Joke of the day

An old Native American wanted a loan for $500.  

The banker pulled out the loan application. 
"What are you going to do with the money?" he asks the Indian.

"Buy Silver, make jewelry, and sell it," was the response.

"What have you got for collateral?"

"Don't know collateral," replied the Indian

"Well that's something of value that would cover the cost of the loan.  
"Have you got any vehicles?"

"Yes.  1949 Chevy pickup," replied the Indian.

The banker shook his head, "How about livestock?"

"Yes, I have a horse," replied the Indian.

"How old is it?" the banker asks.

"Don't know, has no teeth," replies the Indian.

Finally the banker decided to make the $500 loan.

Several weeks later the old man was back in the bank.  
He pulled out a roll of bills, "Here to pay." he said.  
He then handed the banker the money to pay his loan off.

"What are you going to do with the rest of that money?" the banker asks.

"Put in hogan", replied the Indian.

"Why don't you deposit it in my bank," the banker asked.

"Don't know deposit," replied the Indian.

"You put the money in our bank and we take care of it for you.  
Whenever you want to use it, you can withdraw it."

The old Indian leaned across the desk and asks the banker... 
"What you got for collateral?"

No comments:

Post a Comment