Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Monday, August 10, 2020

 


Quarantine Day 146.

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, got up once during the night, again at 4:30am, took a while to fall back asleep, finally waking/getting up at 7am.

Last night I played 4 games on Chess.com, winning 2 and losing 2. I had the black pieces in 3 of the games. The first game I lost I was winning when I lost on time. The 2nd game I lost I was just outplayed.

Last night Teresa thought my right foot looked a little swollen so she wants to get me a doctor’s appointment.

Teresa left at 7:30 for eps.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show then went for my 50-minut walk. When I returned Teresa was waiting for me in the guard house (she didn’t take her keys and thought she would be out longer).

I beat Teresa in parcheesi 9 games to 4.

CNN opinion, “Is Donald Trump trying to lose this election? Seriously, is he self-destructing because somewhere, deep inside his tortured soul he knows he is an unworthy, incompetent, poseur?

Naaah. But his executive action suspending collection of payroll taxes hands the Democrats the kind of issue that can sink a candidacy. It is nothing less than a declaration of war on Social Security and Medicare. The payroll tax funds those two vital and beloved programs. When you suspend collection of the revenue that funds those two programs, you endanger their viability. Say it with me, Democrats: Donald Trump wants to gut Medicare and Social Security.

The Center for American Progress jumped on this like a duck on a June bug. Even before Trump announced his executive order and three memorandums on Saturday, CAP was out with a memo slamming the President. CAP says that if his scheme works it "would divert hundreds of billions from Social Security and Medicare." Every Democrat should repeat that.

Trump is an impulsive, impetuous man; that we know. But on the issue of cutting Social Security and Medicare, this is not his first attempt. His 2021 and 2020 budgets each proposed deep and painful cuts in Social Security and Medicare. How deep? How painful? $2 trillion over ten years, according to the Wall Street Journal. What a coincidence: that's about how much Trump's 2017 tax cut for corporate America cost. According to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, Trump's corporate tax cut has a price tag of $1.9 trillion.

Isn’t Social Security what has always been considered the “third rail” of politics?

 

Teresa went to throw some garbage down the chute when she found a page taped to our door. I understood that 2 residents, although from a different tower than ours, have been found positive for Covid-19. They reminded us of further preventative measures to take including using the stairs, taking care not to touch the walls, instead of the elevator. Evidence of the Coronavirus is getting closer to home.

I finished reading The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.

The US has 5,003,607 ð 5,052,168 ð 5,083,857 coronavirus cases with 161,900+ ð 162,400+ ð 162,800+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 376,870 ð 387,481 ð 397,623 cases with 13,154 deaths.  Medellin has 26,889 ð 27,883 ð 29,568 cases, an increase of 1,613 from August 9th to 10th. Envigado has a total of 1,659 cases, an increase of 66 from August 9th to 10th. New cases are back on the rise.

 

Joke of the day

There I was is sitting at the bar staring at my drink when a large, trouble-making biker steps up next to me, grabs my drink and gulps it down in one swig.

"Well, whatcha gonna do about it?" he says, menacingly, as I burst into tears.

"Come on, man," the biker says, "I didn't think you'd CRY. I can`t stand to see a man crying."

"This is the worst day of my life," I say. "I'm a complete failure. I was late to a meeting and my boss fired me. When I went to the parking lot, I found my car had been stolen and I don't have any insurance. I left my wallet in the cab I took home. I found my old lady in bed with the gardener and then my dog bit me."

"So I came to this bar to work up the courage to put an end to it all, I buy a drink, I drop a capsule in and sit here watching the poison dissolve; then you show up and drink the whole thing! But enough about me, how's your day going?"

No comments:

Post a Comment