Friday, January 31, 2014

Friday, January 31st, 2014



Last night I watched the 2008 movie The Oxford Murders (6.2) on Netflix: “After Oxford logic professor Arthur Seldom and his new graduate student Martin discover a dead woman, they get involved in trying to solve a string of homicides in which the killer marked each victim's body with cryptic mathematical symbols.”

I went to bed at 11:15, got up once at 4:20 and woke/got up at 7:05.  Again I went to bed with the windows and blinds open.  That keeps the room cooler and since I usually get up early anyway the light isn’t so bothersome – so far.  As long as it’s quiet outside!  (BTW, I haven’t used the bedroom fan in months so I guess either I’m finding ways to keep cool or I’m just getting more acclimated to the weather.)

I walked up to Carrera 84 and over to Calle 35.  Looking west I saw what looks like a number of mom & pop stores I haven’t checked out.  After my usual breakfast at Los Mejores I walked 2 or 3 blocks further west up Calle 35 looking for the mystery woman.  Again, no luck!  I walked north on Carrera 84 and had a churro and coffee at Paisa Pan.  Then I stopped at the Internet café and had another set of chess table pictures printed out in color for 6mil.

I checked out the movies opening today in the US and there isn’t anything I’m interested in.

In Medellin I have a choice of:
·       The Wolf of Wall Street: Los Molinos, Monterrey, Oviedo, Santafe, Unicentro, Vizcaya.
·       American Hustle: Oviedo, Vizcaya.
·       The Secret Life of Walter Mitty: Oviedo.

Unless I’m really hard up to see a movie, from now on I’m only going to list those movie theatres which are conveniently located.

I checked my checking account and am happy to report my Social Security and 2 of my 3 small pension deposits are already there.  It looks like I’m going to end the month with an extra $100 to carry over to next month plus about 50mil in cash.

I looked at the Immigration website again and I see it was updated on Tuesday but my number still isn’t there.

At 1pm I caught a Simon Bolivar bus and was at Unicentro by 1:15.  (On the way there a man got on the bus, sat in the seat across from the driver and snapped on his seat belt but didn’t tighten it and there was literally as much slack as the space he had taken up with his body.  Lol.)  There was an area outside the main entrance with a band playing rock music.  I got off on the far side of the mall right across from Entrance #3.  I took an escalator up 2 floors and I was outside Cine Colombia.  I bought a general seating ticket to The Wolf of Wall Street for 8,500 pesos.  After checking out the current movie posters, making a trip to the restroom and purchasing a small popcorn and medium Pepsi for 10,500 I was in my seat 5 minutes before showtime.

I saw coming attractions for Last Vegas (6.8) starring Michael Douglas, Robert DeNiro, Morgan Freeman, and Kevin Kline and Saving Mr. Banks (7.8) starring Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson.  Interestingly, the Spanish title of the latter movie is El Sueno de Walt which translates to Walt’s (Disney) Dream.

I caught a bus and was back at the apartment by 5:15 despite the heavy traffic.

I got an answer to my email from Reina but she just asked when the SuperBowl is and I told her this Sunday.

In Chess Magnet School I was promoted to Protector with a rating of 1328.

No comments:

Post a Comment