Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday, January 12th, 2014



Last night I watched the 2010 movie The King’s Speech (8.1) on Netflix.  It was very good; I think I remember it being nominated for an Academy Award for best picture.

I went to bed at 10:45, fell asleep rather quickly, woke up at 5:45, finally woke/got up at 8:10.  

I was at LM by 9:15 having my usual breakfast at Bunuelo Express.  I called Augusto at 10am and he said he would see me later – and he didn’t mean today.  Then why did he ask me yesterday what time I would be here today?  I’d rather have gone to the hotel for a more relaxing breakfast.

It was a very cool morning and sitting in the shade was just too much so at 10:15 I walked over to the bakery on Calle 35 but no churros/donuts in sight.  I criss-crossed a few streets southeast of there and saw a number of signs for apartments for rent but I’m pretty sure they are all through agencies and thus requiring, for non-residents at last, 6 months rent in advance.  Most of the apartment buildings have names and I saw one titled “Alcatraz – 2”.  Interesting!

I ended up back at Viva CC by 11 and waited there, for it to warm up outside, until about 12:30 reading my Nook.  I finally finished Jim Clancy’s Debt of Honor.  It was one of the best books I’ve read – maybe his best!  He gives good reasons why things happen and the ending is very surprising.  I’m going to give some details about the book, especially the ending, so if you plan to read it best to skip the separate posting that follows this one entitled Debt of Honor - Spoiler Alert!  

About 1-1:30, lunch was a FrisBurrito and medium Pepsi at Frisby for 9mil ($4.74).  By that time it was getting pretty crowded again.

Back at my apartment I downloaded Sidney Sheldon’s If Tomorrow Never Comes for my next Nook book.

At 5pm I walked over to the bakery on Calle 44 and had a cup of coffee and churro for 1,700 pesos.  Then I walked over to the bakery across from the church but all the tables were taken so I continued down to Viva CC where I had an ice cream cone dipped in peanuts and milk chocolate for 3,100 pesos.  We’ll see how that affects my sleep tonight; at least it was all before 6pm so I have a chance.

There was an ad in my Chess Life magazine for learning chess at www.ChessMagnetSchool.com and there is a 30-day free trial.  Even though I thought I stated I’m not a beginner it started with how the chess pieces are set up, how they move, etc.; real beginner stuff.  They assigned me a title of Squire then I advanced to Baron, Count and now I’m a Duke.  But I’m afraid if I exit the website I’ll have to start over so I want to see how far I can advance tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment