Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Monday, August 29, 2022

Last night I took my usual pills and went to bed at 10pm. I fell asleep pretty quickly and got up once during the night. I think it rained all night. I woke up at 5am, made a trip to the bathroom, did my Kegel exercises then catnapped until getting up at 7:30.

Teresa asked me why the mixer suddenly doesn’t work and pointed to a small light on the power outlet. I tried the toaster and it didn’t work either. I pressed the button on the GFI and everything was working again and I explained how these are common in kitchens and bathrooms for our protection.

I had just gotten out of the shower when Teresa informed me she couldn’t open her closet door. (Background: every bedroom and closet door has a simple lock (no deadbolt) with keys in it.) It didn’t open and the “cylinder” appeared to be pulled out a bit. Nothing either of us could do could open it. I suggested she call the portero and ask for a locksmith. She called and a security guard I’ve never seen before soon arrived and he tried with no better luck. Again, I suggested we get a professional locksmith. Time is a little tight as she has a 1:20pm doctor’s appointment and the medical records she needs are in the locked closet. I told her to stop fiddling with it as she could make things worse as she already broken off two small pieces of metal from somewhere.

A professional locksmith from Damm Llaves (301 458 1209) soon arrived



and in the end used large vice grips to pull the handle off. For a total of 250mil ($60) he put on a new handle with lock. Tragedy averted! I was impressed by how quickly it all went. Of course, Teresa had to remind me of the time in the old apt when I got locked in my own bathroom. 😊

We left the apt at 12:15 and took a Didi to Clinica Medellin on Calle 7 where we had a delicious but simple lunch at Boulevard Café.



Lentil soup, salad (I chose cole slaw), chicken in a mustard sauce with cilantro rice and a fresh glass of sopacon juice, all for $5 each.

We went next door to Clinica Medellin where Teresa got a mammography for about $25. From there we took a taxi to El Tesoro mall.

Teresa did some shopping while I tried to find the Samsonite store. At one point she was in a jewelry store and Google Maps or whatever I was using told me the store was 40’ away but I couldn’t see it. Teresa was very interested in a tiny pair of emerald and diamond earrings for at least $500 and I told her she could have them as her Christmas present. (Hopefully they will be on sale.)

In another store she was looking at a black coverup and I asked why she needed another one since she just bought a white one. When Jeannie was here with Jacob they came with backpacks and carry-ons and Teresa and I talked about just taking carry-ons for our week in Punta Cana. I tried to remind her about how little space she will have in a carry-on. We had Greek yogurt ice cream with some fixings in Percimon. As we passed through the last section of the mall before leaving I spotted the Casa de Samsonite store. (It is 40’ from where I was before, it was just on another level.) Inside, I showed Teresa the inside of a carry-on and she finally realized it was too small. I guess we’ll be going with a medium suitcase to share or one for each of us. They had lots of American Tourister and Samsonite brand suitcases, most for over a million pesos each. I told Teresa I would order one from the US just to get her out of the store then I told her I could order one from Colombia’s Samsonite website.

We had about a 20-minute wait before returning to the apt by taxi for 16mil.

 

Funny pix of the day



No comments:

Post a Comment