Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Monday, September 2, 2019


Happy Labor Day!

Last night one of the neighbors was playing music at 10:30 so Teresa called the police on them.

I went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep quickly, got up once at 4:15, 
woke up again at 6:20 finally waking/getting up at 6:45.

I received the following message when I logged onto my Citibank website this morning: “Due to inclement weather, branches in Florida will be closed as of 12pm Sat, 8/31Saturday, August 31 and potentially into next week. Please use the Citi Mobile App or Citi Online for your banking needs.

I took an Advil (ibuprofen) this morning instead of the Dexibuprofen so we’ll see how that goes.  I haven’t had any knee pain since that one twinge last Monday so I think I’m good to go there.  I still have pain in my left shoulder and even though the Advil removed the discomfort I’d better be careful with it for awhile.  I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show and left for the gym.

I skipped the shoulder press exercise and cut back on a few others that might affect it and I was finished in a little over 90 minutes.  I took off my shoes and weighed in at 77.5 kg or 170.8 pounds, down almost 1 pound.

After crossing the street I heard a couple guys speaking English.  They are Mark and Jeff retired firemen from Boston newly retired here.

I left the apt just before 2pm and walked up to Avenida Poblado.  I waited about 10 minutes for a Sabaneta bus but I think I’ve figured out that I could also take an Itagui/Envigado bus and it would still take me as far as Calle 37.

I got off at Calle 36 and took a number in Bancolombia.  I had about a 30 minute wait and I spent another 30 minutes with the cashier.  During that time, the neighboring cashiers looked at her screen, she disappeared twice in back and eventually we went into an office to speak to her boss.  I called Teresa and let her talk to la jefa and I understand it’s the same problem as last month.  I’m to return again tomorrow morning and again I’m bringing Teresa with me.

I walked to Parva where I had 2 coffees and a pastry with arequipe and I got a postre con guayaba to go for Teresa.  I called Jose and cancelled our chess meeting for tomorrow.  As I was finishing my last coffee Chuck showed up with Bryan.  We chatted for awhile and I learned that Chuck pays a small amount every month for burial insurance and Bryan pays every month for an emergency medical service that will come to his home.

When I tried to stand up and got a cramp in my right thigh.  Strange!

We said our goodbyes about 5:30 and I returned to the apt picking up 2 bags of milk on the way.

Teresa and I talked about our logistics for tomorrow morning and she suggested it would be better if Jose went with me.  I called him and Teresa talked to him first and then I explained further and we’re going to meet at Bancolombia tomorrow at 8am.

A few weeks ago I read something on Colombia Expats that caused me to take a closer look at my J&C Delicias receipt from Santafe mall.
In Spanish “Acepto que se ha ofrecido una seleccion de monedas para el pago incluyendo la moneda local del comerciante y he acepto pagar en USD (USD).
Entiendo que el seleccion de moneda es final.  El tipo de cambio esta basado en Visa Published Rate, mas una tasa de conversion internacional de 3.50%.  Este servicio de provisto por Credibanco en associacion con Fintrax Group.”
In English “I accept that a selection of coins has been offered for payment including the merchant's local currency and I have agreed to pay in USD (USD).
I understand that the currency selection is final. The exchange rate is based on Visa Published Rate, plus an international conversion rate of 3.50%. This service provided by Credibanco in association with Fintrax Group.”
And this is after I specifically asked to pay in pesos.  I understand that when they charge me in USD I am paying an additional 3.5%.  I’m going to have to be more careful of this in the future.  It’s not so important for small purchases like this but larger ones like for groceries will be more important.

7,871 steps today.

Joke of the day
Two medical students were walking along the street when they saw an old man walking with his legs spread apart. He was stiff-legged and walking slowly.
One student said to his friend: "I'm sure that poor old man has Peltry Syndrome. Those people walk just like that."
The other student says: "No, I don't think so. The old man surely has Zovitzki Syndrome. He walks slowly and his legs are apart, just as we learned in class."
Since they couldn't agree they decided to ask the old man. They approached him And one of the students said to him, "We're medical students and couldn't help
But notice the way you walk, but we couldn't agree on the syndrome you might have.. Could you tell us what it is?"
The old man said, "I'll tell you, but first you tell me what you two fine medical students think." The first student said, "I think it's Peltry Syndrome."
The old man said, "You thought - but you are wrong."
The other student said, "I think you have Zovitzki Syndrome."  The old man said, "You thought - but you are wrong."
So they asked him, "Well, old timer, what do you have?"
The old man said,   "Well, I thought it was GAS - but I was wrong, too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment