Friday, December 27, 2013

Friday, December 27th, 2013



Last night I left the apartment early, walked down to the end of the street, decided I might need a jacket later and went back for it.  After a 10 minute wait I caught a Circular Sur 302 bus at 8:10.  While on the bus I heard YMCA and Uptown Girl playing on the bus driver’s radio.  J  I exited the bus at 8:40 at Monterrey CC and walked up the street to Empanadisimas where I bought an empanada for 1mil.  This time I tried the sauce that they put on it and it’s a mildly hot sauce; seems more Mexican to me than Colombian.  

I got to Patrick’s Irish Pub at 9pm – 30 minutes before game time.  Feeling a little overheated I had a Coke and read some more from my Nook while I waited.  At 9:30 the manager, who is an American, put the game on but it froze several times and he had to do a reconnect.  Patrick finally came back and changed it from First Row Sports streaming video to connecting to his sling box he has in Bullhead City, Arizona.  (I checked and it’s about 1/3 the way from Las Vegas, NV to Phoenix, AZ.)  That started freezing up too and he said there must be a storm in the area (AZ, not here) and he eventually switched it back.

At halftime the score was NIU 7, Utah State 6; a pretty boring game for a Huskie fan.

The kitchen closes at 11pm so at 10:30 I had their Beef Stroganoff with a fresh mango juice and the total for the evening came to 33mil ($17.37) and I left an extra 2mil tip.

I left about 12:20 after Utah State scored a touchdown to go up 20-7.  The final, I learned later, was Utah State 21, NIU 14.

The taxi ride home was 12mil.  When I got back to the apartment I realized I hadn’t taken my medicine like I should have 30 minutes after dinner so I took it right away.

I went to bed at 12:50, got up once during the night, woke up at 7:15 and finally got up at 7:45.

The back has been feeling good for a couple days now.

This morning I walked down as far as the park and I could see that the lady wasn’t there selling orange juice so I went to the other side of the park looking for a slab of pineapple.  I didn’t see any on his wagon but I did see whole pineapples so I asked for one (in Spanish) but motioned that I only wanted a slab and he cut it up for me right then and there.  He held it by the leaves, cut off the far end, cut the sides carefully by pulling the knife toward him, and then he cut it into 4 equally sized slabs, put 1 in a plastic baggie and handed it to me.  I paid him 1mil (53 cents), took one of the napkins he has there and ate it on my way back to the apartment.

When I was checking for the week’s new US releases on IMDB.com I noticed a place where I could see a movie trailer.  It turned out there were a lot of them, some different but for the same movie.  One interesting one, a scheduled April 11th, 2014 release is Draft Day starring Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner.  “The general manager of the Cleveland Browns struggles to acquire the number one draft pick for his team.”  My best friend is a Cleveland Browns fan so he will probably be excited to see this.
Back to the task at hand, movies opening this week in the US that I would like to see include Lone Survivor (IMDB 7.5), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (7.5), and The Wolf of Wall Street (8.9).

I checked the movies playing here and the only thing decent is Walking with Dinosaurs 3D but it’s dubbed in Spanish.

On my way to LM I ran into Gloria at the bottom of the stairs.  We had a moment to chat and basically agreed that we are friends (amigos).  (Actually, I am the amigo and she is the amiga but for mixed company (M & F together) we are amigos.)

Lunch was the Solomito at SanJote for 16,500 pesos.  Afterwards I went over some more of Bobby Fischer’s games.  While I was doing that James stopped by and asked if we could play after I was finished.  I told him that soon I had to leave so we would have to make it another time.

On my way back to the apartment I got a call from Mail Boxes, ETC. telling me I have something to pick up.  I’ll probably get it on January 2nd when I’m in the neighborhood paying other bills.  I sure hope it’s the book I ordered back on November 14th.  It’s possible it could be my Chess life magazines.  Either one would be greatly welcome.

I got an email from James Lindzey with an itemized bill.  I guess I shouldn’t be surprised its a more than I had expected because I forgot about the extra services required.  I only knew the exact amounts for the first two items.  

The charges are:
400mil – Lawyer services
504mil – Pensionado Visa renewal
50mil – Legalization documents
22mil – Translation documents
125mil – Apostille documents (USA) and shipping
17.5mil – Mail Services Express
1,180mil – TOTAL (appr. $621)

James said he would be fine if I don’t pay him until January 1st or 2nd after my Soc. Sec. deposit comes in.

Reina is coming over about 5pm and we’re going to Envigado to see some large manger.

No comments:

Post a Comment