Monday, December 16, 2013

What I Miss About Medellin



What I Miss About Medellin

The things I miss about Medellin are the same things that caused me to fall so hard for the city in the first place.  It’s not a utopian paradise. The city is far from perfect, but I can’t deny it still holds a strong appeal for me.
  • Beautiful mountain views everywhere you look. By day — green.  By night, it’s like the stars have fallen to rest on the mountainsides.
  • Beautiful women.  Every city has its share of pretty girls, but paisas still top my list.
  • Low cost of living.  You can live a comfortable lifestyle and not break the bank.
  • Nightlife.  Salsa music and dancing doesn’t seem to be as popular in Ecuador, Peru or Argentina. In Medellin, I’d hear it everywhere.  I miss that.  As a result, I’ve been dancing less.  And I miss that too. I also miss, if you couldn’t tell, the bottle service which allows you to have a fun Friday or Saturday night for under $20.
  • Climate. Sure, it rains in Medellin, but I miss how steady the temperatures would be year round.  I’m not made for swelteringly hot weather, and I don’t miss the cold of Winters either.
  • Friends.  Every city I’ve visited since is at a slight disadvantage, for I’ve spent less time in them.  I miss the friends I’ve made in Medellin over the years, and I can’t untangle that factor.
  • Paisa & Colombian Culture.  Every country has its own distinct culture, and by visiting other South American countries, I can more clearly see the uniqueness of Antioquian and Colombian culture.
  • Pueblos. I’ve yet to visit a pueblo in another country as picturesque as Guatape or Salento.
  • X Factor. Medellin’s notoriety is growing as a tourist and retirement destination. Despite the growth in tourism, and the tourism industry, it’s still a bit of the Wild West, and that lack of infrastructure still appeals to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment