Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday, November 17th, 2013



Last night Frank emailed me and told me he got an apartment near Los Molinos.  He mentioned he goes swimming at UPB (a nearby university) and he got invited to a finca next weekend and invited me along.

I watched the next episode of Lie to Me.

I ordered a Sound Bender for my iPad and requested it to be sent to my brother’s address.  It’s a very small, light thing he can bring with him when he visits in February.

I went to bed at 11:15 and got to sleep rather quickly.  I was awakened at 2:45 by a man’s and a woman’s laughter in the building and there was a lot of light coming from the back of the building.  There was also a radio playing some strange continuous “music”.  Could this be a repeat of 5 months ago - Saturday, June 22nd?  I got a chair and looked out the “window” (louvers) of my 2nd bedroom and I could see the pool but no one was in it.  I went back to bed and about 30 minutes later the radio and the light went off and all was quiet again.  I woke/got up at 7:30 feeling pretty good.

Lionel left in his car about 9:35 and there was a woman sitting in the passenger seat so I guess that confirms he got lucky last night.  He came back at 10:25, alone.

Chicago has a tornado advisory until 4pm today.  That should make passing in today’s Bears game challenging.

I left the apartment at 11am and stopped first at Wing Zone (Circular 73B Transversal 39-84 Avenida Nutibara, Laureles).  I found out from the girl at the front they do have ESPN2 but they close at 10pm tonight.

I stopped next at a store across the street called Carullo.  It appears to be a small but fancy grocery store similar to Whole Foods in Chicago.  I was surprised to see English magazines – Reader’s Digest & Time although I don’t think I want to spend $12 for a Reader’s Digest.  (I have to remember to have my brother bring me a Time (or Newsweek) from the Chicago airport when he comes to visit me in February.)

At Sport Wings they put the game on with no problem and I was very surprised to see it in English.  Usually I see words like, “passes, runs, downs, quarters” in Spanish.  I’m guessing this was because it was from broadcast TV (CBS).  And I did see a few American commercials but most of the time you just see “NFL Sunday Ticket” displayed on the screen.  It was also nice they were playing American music in the restaurant.  

At 1:32 (still in the 1st quarter) the game was delayed by severe weather.  The delay lasted officially for 1 hour and 50 minutes.  Thank God I had my Nook with me but still it was pretty uncomfortable sitting there taking up a table even though they weren’t busy at all.  In fact there wasn’t any other customer there until 2pm.  I was wondering why there were so many waiters and waitresses there when there weren’t any customers.

Several couples came in, sat down, and left a few minutes later.  One guy even was wearing a Green Bay Packers cap but he left also.

At 3:26 they resumed the game.  Had the game ended at the regular time I would have been gone by 4:15.  At 5:00 a lot of people came in to watch the 5:30 A/N game.  They moved me to a different table and screen; I was just happy to be able to finish the game.  

I had their large (1/2#) hamburger deluxe, 3 cokes, a milkshake, and an iced tea for a total of 45,597 ($24).  I left a 4mil extra tip.

On both my visits upstairs to use the restroom I saw employees (male & female) lying down and sleeping.

About 6pm the game ended in a 20-20 tie.  I finally decided that was enough so I left.  (A/N was ahead 1-0 over Millonairos and the restaurant was completely full.)  Unfortunately now it was pouring rain and I didn’t bring an umbrella.  (If the game had ended on time I wouldn’t have had a problem.)  I put my Nook into a plastic bag I always carry in my fanny pack and I headed out into the rain.  I was soaked long before I got back to my apartment.  I got home and found the Bears won 23-20 so since Detroit lost today, they are now tied for 1st place.  The Packers lost to the NY Giants.

The rain finally stopped at 6:45 but started again just after 7pm.  At 7:15 I heard some fireworks so maybe A/N won tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment