Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013



Last night I watched another episode of Lie to Me.  I went to bed at 11pm but something (whistle guy?) woke me up just before midnight.  I couldn’t get back to sleep until I finally got up and wrote the reminders “Chess Life” and “Craigslist apartments” on a notepad; more about those later.  I woke up at 6:30 to Lionel’s juicer and finally woke/got up at 8am.

I walked up to Carrera 84, over to Calle 35 and down to the Los Mejores Panaderia where I was surprised to see Damaris.  (I didn’t see the other lady however.)  She gave me a very warm smile and after I finished my coffee & croissant I asked her if she was available to join me today for lunch – “quieres almuerzo conmigo hoy?”.  She replied “sabado” which is Saturday.  My best guess is she’s substituting for someone today but she will be back to her regular 5am-1pm schedule on Saturday.  So I guess our first date will be Saturday at 1:30pm.  I’d better stop for breakfast in the morning and make sure she’s there.

While walking through the traffic circle I noticed a young boy sitting on the pavement flicking pieces of broken glass towards the cars waiting at the intersection.  :(

I stopped at Viva mall, took a little money out of my ATM account and as I was walking into Exito their alarm went off.  I took out my Nook and he waved it toward the screener but that didn’t set it off.  I took out my cell phone but he said that wouldn’t do it.  I explained to the guard that the bag my Nook was in was new, I had just bought it yesterday, and sure enough he waved it and it set off the alarm.  He dug deep into the large pocket and found one of those security strips (with a sign that said “remove before wearing” but who could see it there in the bottom of the bag?), bent it in half and I was able to proceed without it going off again.  That’s when I noticed the large pocket has a divider so there are 2 separate areas and a separate little zipper pocket on the side.

I stopped at the Tinto store when I saw Bob & Michael there.  Bob is back to doing things with Peaches although it’s clear he isn’t interested in moving in with her or have her move in with him.  He’s so cheap there’s hope for me yet.  While sitting there I saw Marcella just down the block; I wonder if she lives here now or is she just visiting a friend?

I stopped at Jhon’s office and gave him his word of the day - “nag”.   He told me he saw Damaris this morning and asked her for help meeting the other lady which she agreed to.  I told him I’m meeting her for lunch on Saturday but I’m going to do it without him.  While there a young lady stopped by and asked for directions, in Spanish of course.  I noticed she had a set of “comedy” “tragedy” mask tattoos on her back which told me she’s in the acting business.  As she walked away I asked Jhon if she was looking for the acting studio and he said “yes”.  I told him its right across from my apartment and he caught up with her and redirected her in the right direction.

I got another picture from Margarita Montes, this time showing her with straight rather than curly hair.  Very pretty and it turns out she’s not as young as I thought.  She’s 47 years old with a 27 year old son.  I’d date her but I don’t think I could afford the cost of commuting to Miami to see her.  Lol.

At 1:23 I caught a Simon Bolivar bus just around the corner from my apartment.  After a little while I was thinking I may be on the wrong bus and would have to endure a trip downtown but at 1:37 it arrived at Unicentro C.C.  The first thing I wanted to do was buy a ticket for the 2:40 showing of The Big Wedding.  Not seeing a mall directory right away I asked one of the guards where is the “cine” (theater).  No reaction.  The “pelicula” (movie)?  No, not here, he says.  That isn’t the first time I’ve been told that by security.  I continued walking deeper into the mall and heading up levels because from experience they tend to be on upper levels.  When I saw a children’s play area I thought I might be getting close.  Finally, on the 4th and final level, there it was - Cine Colombia.  

I bought my ticket (9mil or $4.74) with no problem and had an hour before show time.  I walked around the mall, covering the entire 4th thru 2nd levels before it was time to head back to the theater.  I stopped into a store called “Americano” and in my best Spanish (lol) I asked the 3 ladies working there “why Americano?” and they just looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders.  Lol.  I also saw a Fisher-Price toy store and I also went into a bookstore and found a Time magazine for 14mil and an English section.  Just before I went in the theater I noticed that Colombia was about to play a soccer game in Holland.  I ordered a small popcorn and medium soda for 10,100 pesos ($5.32) and handed the guy a 50mil bill along with 100 pesos.  He gave me the 100 pesos back until he totaled it up and saw that I was right in giving it to him.  

At 2:20 they started with a short about Santa Maria in Colombia showing the wildlife in that jungle area.  Then they showed some coming attractions.  I recognized The Butler and now I believe I would like to see it.  They showed an upcoming Tom Clancy movie that I would like to see.  They called the title “Codigo Sombra” which translates to “Shadow Code”.  I checked the Tom Clancy novels using Wikipedia.org but don’t see it.  I remembered that Harrison Ford is in it so I went to IMDB.com and looked at his recent releases and these appear to be possibilities:
·       Paranoia (5.1) released August 16th
·       Ender’s Game (7.2) released November 1st
Next I googled “Tom Clancy novels made into movies” but found nothing in the list that looks new.  Finally I found a quote “Jack Ryan is coming back to the screen this Christmas in “Jack Ryan: Shadow One” and he’s played (by?) Chris Pine”. 
I definitely want to see that one, but it still doesn’t tell me which novel it was based on so I googled “Tom Clancy movie Shadow One” and found:
This year, Chris Pine will step into the Jack Ryan role for "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit," a Paramount reboot of the character that isn't based on a specific Clancy novel. That film is set for release on Dec. 25, though there was some recent speculation that it could push into January because of other Paramount scheduling issues.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/02/tom-clancy-movies_n_4030204.html

After the movie as I was walking out of the mall I stopped and saw the last 3 minutes of the Colombia vs Netherlands soccer game.  Guess what the final was?  :)  Yep!

Regarding getting back home I didn’t remember if the bus stopped at Unicentro on the way back from downtown and I forgot to check.  I did create instructions for how to walk back.  BTW, Unicentro is across the street from UPB.  

At 4:30 I left the mall, walked across the street and walked down Avenida Bolivariana (aka Diagonal 74B) and turned right.  At the stoplight there was a Simon Bolivar bus heading in the right direction.  I tapped on the door and the driver finally opened it.  Because I was standing on the curb instead of the street I hit the top of my head on the top of the door jamming my neck.  I think it might be sore sometime in the next few days.  The bus drove right past Sport Wings so now I know it’s within walking distance of my apartment although maybe twice as far.  I was back at my apartment by 4:50.

For dinner I just had a small package of crackers, similar to Saltines.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment