Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tuesday, November 5th, 2013



Last night I went to bed right after posting my blog entry.  It was raining so hard I put in ear plugs but still had a difficult time getting to sleep probably because of the late night Cokes or maybe the excitement of the game was still with me.  It was worth it to see my Chicago Bears beat the Green Bay Packers.  I woke up at 5am, took 1 Excedrin Migraine and got up at 5:40.  I must have gotten some sleep though because I don’t feel particularly tired this morning.  I think there will probably be a nap in my near future sometime today.  I thought it stopped raining about 3am but it’s still raining slightly even now at 6am.  

At 7am I was having breakfast of café con leche and arequipe sugar donut at Paisa Pan on San Juan.

If I haven’t mentioned it before, every week, if not every day, some local merchant slips several advertising flyers under the front door. 
Yesterday, the girls next door slipped the following 2 hand-made flyers under the front door of our building:



“Tienda” means “store” and I’m guessing the girls’ family name is “Mapiz”.  The large flyer states “Mapiz shop offers fantastic sweets” and lists a number of candies and their prices.  It also includes their address and telephone number.  They apparently also have weekly specials, this week being Tinto and something called “Sugo”, and this weekend being Tinto and Sodas.  Lastly, the girls’ names are Maria Paula and Valentina (Mapiz?).
The second flyer states they also have free delivery.  Cute!
I guess they know who their best customer is!

I’ve included an article entitled “Medellin: A Great Place to Retire (Yes, Seriously)” as a separate posting.  It appeared in the latest issue of Medellin Living News eMagazine that originally appeared in Business Week:

I stopped at Exito and bought another month’s supply of Tamsulosin for 40,500 ($21.32).  I then tried to purchase their Exito umbrella with the 1,000 free points they gave me plus 8,250 pesos ($4.34) but now I understand I have to wait until the 1st month is over to use the points.

The following article was posted to Colombia Expats forum yesterday:

Obamacare 911- What US Expats Need to Know About Coverage & US Taxes Abroad

I included it as a separate posting.

The following is one expat’s response to a question about getting a job teaching English in Colombia:
Yeah, I will also wish you luck, but I feel I must point out the reality. I hope you secure a job before you arrive, for there is a good chance you might have to join the car-washers at the traffic lights. I know some folks have struck lucky, and managed to find something, but not everyone is that lucky. There are very many people who think "I'll go down to Colombia, and it will be easy, as I am a native speaker". Not always so. I recently pointed out on here, a comment from one of the schools here, thanking all the applicants for their interest. But there were over 1,500 applicants for just 3 or 4 jobs. The best jobs demand that you are a qualified teacher, and are also lucid, and have a good command of the English language yourself. You would never believe how many "native speakers" can't even talk properly or spell. You only have to read through these boards to see what I mean. If you doubt whether that is important, just imagine yourself as a parent. If you heard an English teacher trying to teach your child the language, but was not totally literate himself, would you want to pay all that money for your child to be taught by him? No, of course not. So a lot of people who want to teach, but are not really up to it, find that the available jobs pay crap money for working all the hours under the sun. Minimum wage here is about US$ 300 per month. The average rent in a cheapish apartment could be about US$ 300 - 400 per month, plus service/admin charges of another US$ 50, so you end up with not enough to pay your rent to start with. So my advice would be to ensure you have enough money in case you can't get a job. Traffic lights are not very nice places, especially if you have to try and muscle into someone else's territory. He will defend his patch to the death. Just a few thoughts to bear in mind. Otherwise, good luck. Colombia is a lovely place, but not if your luck runs out. There is not a lot of sympathy, but lots of hard luck stories, (about 5 million of them).

Lunch was the 7mil special at Likkes and then I picked up my laundry.

At 2:30 while sitting outside the corner store I finished The Hunt for Red October.  From 3:30 to 5:00 I was reading my Nook outside Exito.  Like most books it’s a little different from the movie.  The movie made some significant changes to allow Jack Ryan to look more like a hero.  Then I started reading Patriot Games, also by Tom Clancy.  I counted 1 Panasonic, 4 Samsung and 1 Simple (sp?) TVs that went out the door while I was watching today.  Gloria came by about 4pm and said “hello”.  She said she had a headache and I felt bad that I didn’t have my pill case with me with the Excedrin Migraine.

From 5:15 to 6:15 I was sitting in Fresco Pan having my dinner.  First I had my usual ham & cheese pastry with café con leche for less than 2mil and then a Pan de Salchicha (hotdog) – what we would call “pigs in a blanket” – with another café con leche again for less than 2mil.  I told the girl working there that tomorrow I would tell her what we call Pan de Salchicha in English – meaning “pigs in a blanket”.

No comments:

Post a Comment