Saturday, November 23, 2013

Saturday, November 23rd, 2013




Last night I watched another episode of Lie to Me.

I went to bed at 11pm and someone very close by was intermittently shooting off firecrackers – like every 15 to 30 minutes.  The last time I heard them was about 1:20am.  I was asleep again shortly after that, woke up once at 5:20am and woke/got up at 7:40am.

I had my usual breakfast at Panaderia Los Mejores just to make sure Damaris was there today – she was.  I plan to be back by 1:30 for our lunch date.  I hope she’ll have a little more time for me than just lunch but I’ll have to play it by ear.  At this point I have no idea how far she lives or what time she goes to bed.

I took a little money out of my checking account to cover the next few days.  I can make one more substantial withdrawal without tapping into the little savings I have in my other account.  My main account should be replenished next Sunday, December 1st.

I bought a banana for 200 pesos on my way back to my apartment.  The potassium in it should help to avoid another cramp.  I have to remember to buy one at least every week for medicinal purposes only.

The neighborhood girls rang my doorbell to let me know their candy store is now open for business.  They have a little table set up across the street with about a dozen drawings with a few pieces of candy sitting on each.  I chose the most involved looking picture – a drawing of Frosty the Snowman and the words “El mejor adorno de la Navidad es una gran sonrisa” or “The best Christmas ornament is a great smile.”  I asked them how much and one of them said 500 pesos.  I guess I hesitated because she came around the table, gave me a sly smile and told me it would only be 400 pesos for her friend.  I gave her 1 mil but she had to go to her grandparents because they didn’t have enough change.

 

I was at Panaderia Los Mejores waiting for Damaris at 1:30.  She finally came out about 15 minutes later in jeans, a red blouse, sandals, and I saw her with her hair down for the first time.  I was planning to take her to Plato Fuente but she led me south down Ochenta to a mall that I didn’t know was there.  After walking only a few minutes I stopped her and reminded her we need a place with Wi-Fi.  We turned around and before we got back to Calle 35 she turned me into a restaurant named Alberto Lechona.  It’s a typical Colombian restaurant so I ordered the Bandaja Paisa and she ordered something similar.  I found out she lives in a house in a berrio north of here and she also takes 4 buses to get to work.  She has 18 and 28 year old sons. 

She goes to bed at 11pm every night and gets up at 3am to be at work on time.  She doesn’t have any days off but Sunday is a day off, but not every Sunday, and yes, I am confused.  Anyway she spends her day off with her sons.   I had my iPad with me and the waiter gave me their password but we had great difficulty communicating because when she wrote she didn’t put spaces between the words.  So if I don’t recognize the 2 words I wasn’t able to fix the situation.  Not good.  The bill came to 46mil and I left a 2mil tip.


From there we walked the 4 blocks or so to Mall de Laureles and I had a small ice cream cone.  She wanted to spare her figure.  I asked her if she would like to go to a movie with me sometime and she said she would like that.  I showed her a few things on my iPad and finally I walked her to catch her bus just east of the mall.

Cutting through Viva Mall I ran into Gloria for the first time since her no show last week.  She gave me a “what happened” and I gave the same back to her.  No matter how much I tried to tell her last time to meet me at LM she was waiting for me there.  When I went to look for her she was upstairs looking for me.  I made another tentative date to have lunch with her next Friday.

I ran into Bob and Jhon and Pablos at the Tinto store.  Bob tells me that on the last day of November (next Saturday) everyone shoots off fireworks or at least firecrackers all night so don’t plan on getting any sleep.  The next night the city turns the Christmas lights on and leaves them on all month or at least until Christmas.

I dropped my iPad and my umbrella off at the apartment and met the guys again back at the corner store.  Of course they were all drinking except me and Jhon, the philosopher, was telling me that I am a Passive person and Bob is an Active person and that I will only be happy if I find a Passive woman, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment