Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday, November 3rd, 2013



Last night I watched episode 3 of Sleeper Cell.

I went to bed at 11:15, didn’t wake up until 6am and finally woke/got up at 8am.  I got a shock when I found I had left all the windows, even the balcony door, open all night.

The headline from an article in last Thursday’s Gente newspaper:
Concerned about the increase of burglaries in Laureles.
Despite control operations carried out in the district, cases of theft are rampant. From 1 to October 27 were 149, compared to the same period the previous month. Would arrive reinforcements.
That’s apropos.

I understand the US turned their clocks back last night.  Since Colombia has only one time zone and does not observe Daylight Savings Time, we are now on Eastern time.  I have to keep that in mind now – for example, the noon starts for American football I’m used to, are now 11am starts here.  

That’s not going to be too convenient because Sport Wings doesn’t open until noon.  I’m going to have to see if Patrick’s Irish Pub will open early for us sports fans.  Or are they 1pm starts?  This is all very confusing!  Correction: Patrick’s Irish Pub is now called Patrick’s Irish Sports Pub and is rated #136 by Trip Advisor out of 336 restaurants in Medellin. 

At 8:30am, walking across Avenida 80 I was surprised there was not a single car in sight.  Wow, I thought, the Colombians partied so much last night that they are all sleeping in this morning.

I had my iPad with me so I took a few pictures of Golden Palermo Hotel where I had breakfast, and the entrance to Mall de Laureles and Viva mall:

Mall de Laureles - front

hotel from a distance

Hotel from across the street

Hotel breakfast buffet

Hotel room rates

Viva Mall main entrance

Viva Mall hours

 I stopped at the Exito pharmacy and bought another bottle of Freegen eyedrops for 28,750 ($15.13).  I checked my blog notes and the other times I got 2 bottles for that price so I’d better not buy them from Exito again.

Walking across the street again there wasn’t any traffic.  I found Bob at the Tinto store and he told me there’s going to be a big bicycle race today so they have Avenida 80 closed off to vehicle traffic.  Because of that a lot of traffic was now coming down this street - Carrera 81.  Cars were parking on both sides of the side streets in preparation for watching the race and the traffic is getting really tied up.

A woman brought the store a couple trays of fresh empanadas stuffed with chicken.  I bought one for 2mil ($1) and it was very good.  I guess I won’t be hungry at noon.

I got an email from a James Antle who has been reading my blog.  He just arrived in Medellin the 1st of October and is staying for 5 months.  I’m sure I’ll be meeting him at some point.

At 2pm on my way over to the Fresco Pan bakery I could see traffic moving again on Avenida 80 so obviously the bicycle race is over.  I had a café con leche and a ham & cheese “pizza slice” for 2mil.  I tossed a small piece of bread on the floor and a couple of pigeons attacked it hungrily.  A few seconds later there were dozens of pigeons flocking to the area.  A man a couple of tables over put a piece of bread on his thigh and a pigeon sat there and ate it.  A minute later I looked over and he was holding it in his hands and petting it.  I guess they are pretty tame here - and Colombians have never heard of squab.  Lol.

I also had an ice cream for 1,200 pesos (63 cents).  To translate to English the description on the wrapper says:
Artisan
Ice cream made with fruit and milk.
Blackberry sauce.
Vanilla and blackberry.

At 2:30 people started arriving at the church.  It’s obviously a funeral.  While sitting there I saw a small fire truck drive past – second one I’ve seen – with “bomberos” (firefighters) written on the side.  It didn’t seem to be in any hurry so I guess it wasn’t going to a fire.

As I walked towards the corner store Bob was just leaving.  He informed me that the bicycle race took place around noon.

I sat just outside Exito from 3:15 to 5pm keeping an eye on everyone coming and going.  I saw one kid about 8 years old walk by in a Devin Hester 23 (Chicago Bears) navy blue jersey.  A number of people came out with large screen (40” to 60”) TVs.  I decided to start noting what brand they are all buying but there were only 2 after that – both Sony.

I bought a large package of Suave Gold toilet paper for 13,950 ($7.34).  I sure hope it’s a lot better than the Exito brand because they are selling 2 for 1.  After I dropped that off at home I grabbed my chess set and along with my Nook I headed to LM for dinner.  I also hoped to see Jimmy & Ruby there. 

Surprisingly, they arrived a few minutes after I did.  I played 2 games with Jimmy.  In the first game when I was playing black he tied me in knots and beat me easily.  I was thinking that it isn’t fun playing him anymore because he’s so much better than I.  (It’s just the opposite of my playing against Franklin.)  In the second game I had white and got into my favorite opening for the first half dozen moves.  He got ahead a couple pawns and we were both attacking each others kings.  I finally got into a position where we both had the same material with some attacking chances but he had to leave with it being my move.  He took a picture of the board with his camera and I wrote down the positions.

For dinner I had the chili and a mango juice (with water) from El Comedor de Chava for 11,600 pesos ($6.11).  I was asked if I wanted sugar with my juice and I said “no”.  I don’t think I’ll do that again.

As I was leaving LM it was raining lightly.  After I cut through Viva it was raining harder.  Now, an hour later, it’s been raining real hard for some time.

I think I’ve figured out this football/time change problem.  I know Colombia is now on Eastern Time and the game tomorrow starts at 8:40 Easter so that’s what time it starts for us.  Late!  And the games that used to start at noon Central will now start at 1pm Eastern.  So there you have it!

So tomorrow I guess I’m going to Patrick’s Irish Sports Pub and hope they are open later on Monday nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment