Monday, August 20, 2018

Sunday, August 19, 2018


Pretty much what has become a typical night, although I went to bed a little late (11:45) because of the football game, got up once during the night and woke at 6:30 and got up at 7:30.

Laura was feeling better this morning and left for work at 8:30.  I think we’ll be able to see the movie tomorrow.

Teresa and I left the apt at 11am, met MT down the hill and quickly caught a taxi to Terminal del Sur (South bus terminal).

We bought tickets to Rio Negro (at least that’s where I thought we were going) for 7,500 pesos each.  (MT gave me 50mil to cover at least her bus ticket and lunch so that was unexpected but nice.)  There was about a 15 minute wait until the bus left.

We arrived in San Antionio (I found out a little later) in an hour and 45 minutes. 

It took longer than Teresa thought and also wasn’t what she was told it would be like from her friend.  I think she was very disappointed.  After walking around their park filled with booths a little we had a menu del dia at a small restaurant.  The chicken shish kebab we all had was delicious.

We walked down the street where we finally found a bakery.  We got the last table and I had 2 cafĂ© con leches, and Teresa and MT had coffees.  I also had a pastry with guanabana (or something like that) inside.  There was a 30-something woman sitting at the next table off Teresa’s side.  On two different occasions she got up and left her purse sitting on a chair next to hers.  Later I learned that she asked Teresa to watch her things but as Teresa said she didn’t know us at all.  I told Teresa we could have had half of her money for her and half for me.  What about my mother she asked?  Let her find her own mark.  Lol.

Highlights of the trip: 1) a man walking a small pig, 2) a man creating pencil drawings with his feet as he had no arms, 3) a visit to the restroom where I saw a man using the urinal at the same time as he was brushing his teeth (now that’s multi-tasking).  I also noticed a booth selling waffles that was using a double-sided Cuisinart machine.  They had 4 of them so I guess there must have been quite a demand.

We were back at the bus stop by 5:45 for our 6pm return trip.  Luckily we bought tickets ahead of time as there was a long line.  Just after 6pm a bus arrived and people started to get on and it was obvious everyone wasn’t going to fit on this small bus.  One or two women behind me constantly called out to just let those on board who have tickets.  As far as I could see that’s what they did.  The last few people on had to stand.

The bus left when it looked like we would be the next ones on.
The next bus arrived at 7pm, we got seats and we were on our way.  I was sitting next to a woman with a young baby with Teresa and MT on the other side of the aisle.  This young woman also had a backpack at her feet that she struggled to get things out of since her hands were pretty full.  Finally she said something to me in Spanish and I asked Teresa for help.  The young woman got up and switched places with another friend.  This second young woman was even prettier than the first and she had a young baby also.  I never heard a peep out of either baby all the way back to Medellin.
We got off at San Diego mall and quickly caught a taxi back to the apt.

Teresa thought the trip was a waste of time but for me it’s interesting to see a new place – not that I would want to return.

The Colombian Peso closed for the week at 3,031 to the US Dollar.  It’s nice to see it over 3,000 again.

Today’s Step Count was 4,179.

Joke of the day
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN
Children
A woman knows all about her children. She knows about dentist appointments and romances, best friends, favorite foods, secret fears and hopes and dreams.
A man is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house.

1 comment: