Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Tuesday, August 14, 2018


Despite getting up twice during the night I slept pretty well, waking at 6:30 and getting up at 7:15.

Today is very overcast and the high is only supposed to be 79 which will be a nice change from the usual 85ish.

I asked Teresa what she thought of the guys from Santafe.  She thought they were nice and commented that Laura likes gringos because, unlike Colombianos, they don’t grab girls butts or breasts.
I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show.  I walked over to the copy center where I had Teresa’s Claro bill printed (Laura emailed it to me and I copied it to my flash drive.) and then went to Claro and paid the bill.  I asked a girl working there what the number is that I dial to find out my balance and she said *103#.  I tried it and it worked!  I can see that I have a balance of about 24,000 pesos.  That should be sufficient for awhile since I seldom call anyone.

At 11:30 it started raining lightly.

I forgot to mention that a few days ago I threw away the Venezuelan bills I had purchased on the bus.  Just yesterday it occurred to me that they would have made great bookmarks.  Maybe I’ll get another chance to buy more in the future.

I got a number of emails from Laura regarding being an au pair for a family in England.  Something about putting 10 million pesos into her bank account so someone (I don’t even understand who) can look and see it’s there and then we can remove it.  She’s asking her mother to borrow the money from Bancolombia.  I’m very hesitant to get involved because something smells rotten in Denmark!

We took a nap from 2:40 to 3:50.

Again Teresa appears to have changed her mind about going to the movie today so I’ll go alone and see The Darkest Minds (5.5) playing at Oviedo at 7pm.  I told her I’m going to see Adrift tomorrow because it might leave on Thursday.  She says she’ll go with me tomorrow.  Hah, like I can depend on that!

It’s 4:15 and the noisy parrots are back on the building across the street.

Wow, the Colombian Peso broke above the 3,000 threshhold.  We’ll see how long that lasts.

Jorge, Teresa’s cousin, called and asked for 200mil towards the 600mil we owe him for painting the finca.  No problem.

At 6pm I started using the Cabify app to call for a taxi.  (Because Jose signed me up for this app we’re both supposed to get an 8mil credit for using it.)  After 3 minutes of it searching for a taxi and stating something about putting me in a queue I finally cancelled it.  I walked down the hill and right away caught a taxi.

I got off at the Carulla market behind Oviedo for 9,800 pesos.  I gave the driver 10mil and didn’t wait for change.

I was at the theater 30 minutes early.  I bought a general admission seat for 5,250 pesos.  (If I understood correctly my Cine Colombia card got me a 2,000 peso discount.)  I now have 24 total ticket purchases on my Cine Colombia card.  I sat at one of the tables and read a couple chapters in my paperback.  Ten minutes before showtime I made a trip to the restroom then bought a small popcorn and medium soda for 13,200 leaving me with a balance of about 19,450.

When I got to my seat I found a man sitting in my spot.  I told him that was my seat and he asked me for the seat number and I said 18, he checked the number on the seat and then moved over.  He left his cellphone on during the movie and I guess he got called (vibrated) a couple times because he got up and left the theater for awhile.  I was glad I had my jacket with me because the theater was very cool.

There were about 30 people in the theater and the movie The Darkest Minds (5.5) was only so-so.  I think the target audience was probably more like the teenage demographic.  I think there will be a sequel but I think (I hope) I’ll skip it.

After the movie I quickly caught a Sabaneta bus.  It was standing room only but I didn’t mind because even with my jacket on it was a cool enough evening that it didn’t bother me.

When I returned to the apartment Teresa informed me that her cousin Jorge took 300 mil so I only owe him 300 more next month.

I understand Brock, the gringo, is still a little under the weather so Laura is going to stay with him tonight.  Btw, his flight leaves at 2pm tomorrow.

Today’s Step Count was 6,081.

Joke of the day
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN
Future
A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband.
A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment