Sunday, November 24, 2019

Saturday, November 23, 2019


Last night I went to bed at 10:30, got up once during the night, finally waking/getting up at 7:15.

My wrist is much better this morning.  I seem to have regained most of my mobility without any pain.  I could hold a spoon normally this morning with no difficulty.

I left the apt at 8:30 and walked to Parva.  For some reason (I only understood Christmas and kids) my coffee (large this time) was 4,500 pesos.  I read some from my Reader’s Digest.  The cafĂ© was mostly empty.  I left at 9:45.

On my way back to the apt I stopped at Exito and picked up a couple things for Teresa.

Wow!  Laura called Teresa and informed us that there is a gift waiting for us at the porteria.  By the time I figured out she meant “now” and not “later” Teresa said they are bringing it up to us.  I opened the door and a deliveryman brought in a 50” LG UHD TV.  (I asked Teresa, jokingly, if it’s supposed to go in Laura’s bedroom.)  Teresa informed me that Laura made it clear that this is a gift for me.  I told Teresa not to worry as I would allow her to use it occasionally.

I left the apt at 11:15 and took a metro bus and the metro to San Antonio station.  I went downstairs to use the TranVia for the first time.  (It’s like a ground level monorail but I didn’t get to really appreciate it because the ride was so short and I was concentrating so much on where I was and where I was going.)  A train arrived and I got on.  I handed a policewoman the Comfama address and she guided me off the train.  The train left and headed west so I knew that wasn’t right.  Another train arrived on the other side of the “platform” and we both got on.  It headed in the same direction so the only explanation is that I must have gotten turned around going down the stairs from the metro platform.

It went a few blocks and I got off at the first station – San Joaquin - at noon.  I walked a block looking for a street sign and walked back to where I started and asked a policeman.  A Colombian intervened and guided me to a small park.  There were 2 buildings with Comfama on it and I went into the one that also had a Smartfit sign on it.  I asked at an information desk and was directed to the other building.  Inside I asked a policeman about the chess tournament and he said it would be outside unless it starts raining.

I wanted to have lunch somewhere first so I walked around the block that the building was on without finding a restaurant.  I walked a block west and found Carbon y Sabor.  I ordered my usual and looking at my watch I realized I only had 20 minutes.  I ate most of my food, paid 22,900 and left.

I arrived back at the park at 1:10, 10 minutes late.  I saw 2 games going on and another half dozen or so men looking on.  I set up my board and pieces and soon had an opponent.

He was fairly strong but I eventually checkmated him in both games.  My 2nd opponent wasn’t very strong and he finally resigned after I had taken all his pieces.  My 3rd opponent was very strong and I quickly lost a piece and he did a good job of making my pieces useless and I resigned.  We had had a few drops of rain during the games.  I took a taxi back to Envigado and by the time we got to Poblado it started raining.  It was pouring by the time I returned to the apt.

We had a strong thunderstorm come through for about an hour.

I tried to take a nap but I think only Teresa slept a little.

Afterward, I plugged the TV back in but despite repeated attempts I kept getting the “no signal” message.

We left the apt at 7:30 and took a taxi to the patacon stand across from Antica Pizza.  (On the way we saw that Envigado has their Christmas lights on in the park.)  For 19,600 pesos we shared a patacon with guacamole and shredded beef, a cheese torta, 6 small empanadas and a soda.

There were a few raindrops but nothing serious.

We were back at the apt by 9pm.

The TV still doesn’t work.

Just before I went to bed I tried the TV one last time and I finally got a signal.

7,761 steps today.

Joke of the day
Two Roofers, Bob and Dan, were putting a new roof on a barn when a bundle of shingles slid down the slope and knocked the ladder over.
Bob and Dan decided since it was early they would continue working because someone would surely come around by quitting time.
It was nearing 5 PM and they hadn't seen hide nor hair of anyone.
So, they walked around the roof a few times and finally decided there was only one way down.
On the West side of the barn was a big manure pile.
Bob says, "It's the only way down. I will go first." Bob jumped.
Dan heard the squishy landing and yelled, "Hey Bob! How deep did you go?"
Bob yells back, "I went to my ankles Dan, come on JUMP!"
Dan jumps... and sinks clear up to his neck in manure!
"I thought when you jumped you went up to your ankles?" He shouts at his friend.
"I did..." Explained Bob, "but I landed head first!"

No comments:

Post a Comment