Sunday, November 10, 2019

Saturday, November 9, 2019


Last night we went to bed at 10:30, I fell asleep quickly, got up once about 4am, fell back asleep quickly, waking/getting up just before 7am.

It was a very cool morning of only 67 degrees as I left the apt at 8am.  I met a fellow gringo named Gil, from Texas, at the bus stop.  I arrived at Los Molinos 20 minutes early but Dario was there waiting for me.

I had Black in the first game and I blundered a pawn that gave him an avenue to my King and I resigned on the 29th move.

I had White in the 2nd game and this time while I had the advantage I blundered my queen on the 24th move.  I kept playing and eventually got his Queen back for a Rook and pawn and I was about to mate him while he was attempting to Queen a Pawn when my flag fell.  (At one point someone behind me asked if either of us are from the States, and I said “yes, but I’m kind of busy right now.”)  Afterward, I didn’t see him again.

Dario left and I got in line to buy Frisby’s BBQ chicken nuggets.  I sat down and after 30 minutes my alarm hadn’t gone off so I went up to the counter and my order arrived.  After finishing eating it was 1am and I had a chess lesson scheduled for 2pm so I took a taxi back to the apt.  I was nearing the apt by 1:50 and was thinking of texting Juan Carlos that I might be late when I got the same text from him.

Back at the apt I was going to change into shorts but today wasn’t hot at all so I stayed in my bluejeans.  I arrived at the Otra Parte library by 2:05 and Juan Carlos arrived 5 minutes later.

I showed him the homework I had done with the book he gave me and he told me he wanted me to write out the whole variation, not just the first move.  Sigh!

He gave me a couple more puzzles to do right then, I showed him one of my chess games from 1976, he showed me another opening for Black and then we continued with studying the Najdorf Sicilian.

After the lesson I went to Parva where I had a cafĂ© con leche.  I tried calling Teresa several times but always immediately got her voice mail.  She called me once or twice but for one reason or another I always missed her call.

Back at the apt we checked our phones and for some reason it appears she can call me but when I call her it always goes to voice mail and I’m not sure what the problem might be.

Glenn and I exchanged a few texts and we decided to try the brunch tomorrow at the Charlee hotel.

About 7pm Teresa suggested we order ribs from Mu.  She called and placed the order then I had her call a taxi for me.  A minute after I arrived at the guard house my taxi arrived.  He drove down the hill to Avenida Las Vegas but for some reason he turned left instead of right, into heavy traffic.  I was on my cellphone so either the road northbound was closed and I didn’t notice or he knew something I didn’t.  Just before Viva Envigado he turned right and right again onto the expressway.  After about a kilometer he turned right and we came out on Avenida Las Vegas by McDonald’s.  This time he turned left and we headed north.  I saw his radio was tuned to 106.9, an American music station, and I inquired about it.  He showed me that he was using a USB drive.  Traffic was still heavy but we finally arrived at Mu after about 30 minutes.  The taxi driver waited outside while I ran inside and picked up the food.  We were back at the apt in about 15 minutes via Avenida Poblado.

We each ate 2 ribs, I finished off most of the fries, and we had about 5 left over for another day.

7,479 steps today.

Joke of the day
A burglar broke into a house one night. He shined his flashlight around, looking for valuables. And when he picked up a jewelry box to place in his sack, a strange, disembodied voice echoed from the dark saying: 
"Jesus is watching you."
He nearly jumped out of his skin, clicked his flashlight off, and froze.
When he heard nothing more after a bit, he shook his head, then clicked the light on and began searching for more valuables. After just a few seconds, clear as a bell, he heard: "Jesus is watching you."
Freaked out, he shined his light around frantically, looking for the source of the voice. Finally, in the corner of the room, his flashlight beam came to rest on a parrot.
"Did you say that?" He hissed at the parrot.
"Yep," the parrot confessed, then squawked, "I'm just trying to warn you."
The burglar relaxed. "Warn me, huh? Who in the world are you?"
"Moses," replied the bird.
"Moses?" The burglar laughed. "What kind of people would name a bird Moses?"
Suddenly, he felt a giant shadow materializing behind him.
"The same kind of people who would name a Rottweiler Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment